Baylor WGOLF Climbs into Fifth Place at the Schooner Fall Classic

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sun Sep 25 17:54:28 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 25, 2022

Baylor WGOLF Climbs into Fifth Place at the Schooner Fall Classic
BU weathered the conditions to improve its standing on day two
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

NORMAN, Okla. – Baylor women's golf climbed to fifth place on Sunday following the second round of the Schooner Fall Classic at Belmar Golf Club.

On a day where the stroke average (72.89) went up by nearly three shots and no team finished under par, BU shot a 4-over 284 to get within three shots of second-place Oklahoma, with 18 holes to play on Monday.

Rosie Belsham improved her score by three shots from round one, carding a 2-under 68 on Sunday to finish tied for 17th. The junior recorded a pair of bogeys and a pair of birdies to start even par through four holes. She settled in and played her next 13 holes at 3-under with birdies at Nos. 7, 12 and 15 before a final bogey of the day at No. 16.

Sera Hasegawa finished under par for a second-straight day with a 1-under 69 and sits tied for 8th at 3-under for the championship, entering Monday's final round. The East Tennessee State transfer birdied her first two holes of the day to get to 2-under through four, but closed the front nine with bogeys at Nos. 5, 6, 8 and 9. She bounced back with a birdie at No. 10, six-straight pars, and two more birdies on Nos. 17 and 18 to finish strong in the second round.

Britta Snyder shot a 3-over 73 and is tied for 51st after 36 holes. The junior made an early birdie at No. 3 before bogeys at Nos. 5 and 7 closed out her front nine with a 1-over 37. She got back into red figures with back-to-back birdies at Nos. 11 and 12 before finishing with a triple-bogy at No. 14 and a bogey at No. 18.

BaiMai Seema turned in her first counting score this season with a 4-over 74 and is tied for 51st with Snyder and five others. The sophomore made bogeys at Nos. 2 and 6, but closed the front nine with a birdie at No. 9. Following another birdie at No. 10, Seema made a bogey at 11, triple-bogey at 13, and a bogey at 14, but made a birdie at No. 17 on the way in to get back to 4-over.

Silje Ohma shot a 5-over 75 to finish Sunday in a tie for 39th at 2-over for the tournament. She played the outward half at 3-over par with bogeys at Nos. 2, 5 and 9. Her back nine began with a pair of pars and the Bears’ first eagle of the season at No. 12, but the freshman played her final five holes at 4-over par.

Anika Veintemilla, playing as an individual, is tied for 70th after two rounds following a career-best 2-over 72 on Sunday, tying her career-best round. Starting on the back nine, the senior birdied No. 10 before making bogeys at Nos. 13 and 14. She made it back to even par for the day with a birdie at No. 2, but followed that with bogeys at Nos. 3 and 6. She closed strong with birdies on her final two holes at Nos. 17 and 18.

With a score of 8-under 552 through two rounds, Florida State leads by six shots over Oklahoma and Houston. At 7-under par, Louisville’s Carmen Griffiths leads by one shot over Illinois’ Isabel Sy and four shots clear of BU’s Hasegawa.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Sera Hasegawa has the best par-four scoring average through two rounds (3.75).
  *   Hasegawa is tied for the second-most birdies this week with 10.
  *   BaiMai Seema is tied for the third-most birdies for the week with nine.
  *   Rosie Belsham and Silje Ohma are tied for the second-best par-5 scoring average through two rounds (4.50).
  *   Ohma recorded her first-career eagle on Sunday.
  *   Baylor ranks second in par-5 scoring average this week (4.77).
  *   The Bears are tied with Oklahoma State for the most birdies through two rounds (35).

QUOTE OF THE DAY
Head coach Jay Goble – “I think the course played much tougher today. The wind picked up a lot, and the pins were in some different locations, which was a little different. I think we did well with it, though. We stayed as patient as we could and finished with a few birdies, which was great. I believe that we can continue to work our way up the leaderboard again tomorrow with patience, playing our own games and controlling what we can control.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will play with Oklahoma State and North Texas in the final round beginning at 9:20 a.m. on the first tee. BaiMai Seema will lead off for the Bears followed by Britta Snyder at 9:30 a.m. Silje Ohma will be next at 9:40 a.m. followed by Rosie Belsham at 9:50 a.m. Sera Hasegawa will play out of the anchor position at 10:00 a.m. to round things out for the Bears. Anika Veintemilla will tee off at 10:00 a.m. on No. 10. Live scoring can be found at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=pairings&tid=25499>

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF/)