No. 15 Baylor VB Outlasts Iowa State

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Wed Nov 16 23:20:07 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 16, 2022

No. 15 Baylor VB Outlasts Iowa State
Bears win revenge match over Cyclones behind Kara McGhee
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – The No. 15-ranked Baylor volleyball team took the match over Iowa State on Wednesday night, 3-1, in the Ferrell Center.

The Bears (22-5, 11-3 Big 12 Conference) outlasted the Cyclones (18-10, 9-5 Big 12) in four sets, 25-20, 25-20, 19-25, 26-24.

BU leads the all-time series with ISU, 31-25, and lead 16-12 when playing in Waco. McGuyre is 12-4 against Iowa State in his career.

Senior Kara McGhee had her 500th career block in set one, finishing the match with 504 overall, making her sixth all-time for career blocks and third in the rally-scoring era for BU. She went up for her 500th next to her sister, Elise.

THE RUNDOWN
Set 1
The Bears started the match off behind a Kara McGhee kill, but Iowa State was ready for BU and answered with two points of their own. Elise McGhee recorded the next kill for BU to tie it early on at 2-2. Kara McGhee and Lauren Harrison went up for a block to push ahead, 4-2, but ISU once again answered. The teams traded points throughout the rest of the set, with the McGhees getting blocks and kills from Talbert, Harrison and the McGhee sisters. At the media timeout, Elise had gotten a kill to make it 15-12. Out of it, ISU got the kill but Allie Sczech and Kara followed it up with kills of their own, forcing a Cyclone timeout at 17-13. Alexis Dacosta served up an ace, then Iowa State’s Maya Duckworth got a kill, followed by two-straight aces from Brooke Stonestreet to prompt a BU timeout, now 18-16. Sczech answered with a kill, then Harrison, and Harrison and Mallory Talbert got a block, now 21-18. ISU called time again at 22-19. Duckworth had a kill, but Elise McGhee produced a kill, then an attack error from the Cyclones brought it to set point. Setter Averi Carlson served up an ace to end the set, 25-20.

Set 2
One set win under their belt, BU started set two with a kill from Allie Sczech. The Bears took it to 3-1 early thanks to Harrison getting a kill. ISU tied it up, but Talbert answered. Iowa State called for a pause when BU went up 7-3 thanks to three-straight attack errors on the Cyclones. Out of it, ISU got a kill and then back-to-back aces from Duckworth. Talbert stopped the run with a kill to make it 8-6. Iowa State got ahead at 10-8, but BU retook the lead thanks to Kara McGhee and Sczech kills along with a Carlson ace which pushed the Cyclones into the second timeout of the set. Iowa State brought it back within one at 13-12, but Kara McGhee pushed them back. Sczech got a kill to make it 16-13, and then Harrison progressed play to 18-14. Moving right along, Elise McGhee had BU’s 20th point, now 20-15. The McGhees went up for a block for the score to be 22-18, and despite the Cyclones best efforts to catch up, BU finished the set on a Sczech kill, 25-20.

Set 3
The Bears up 2-0, set three started with an attack error, but was quickly followed up with a Kara McGhee kill. ISU went up by three, but McGhee stopped it. Harrison made it 5-3 with Iowa State leading with a kill, then 6-4. The Cyclones led for the rest of the set, despite BU coming within reach at multiple points. BU took their first timeout at 10-4, then again at 14-7. The momentum rolling with Iowa State, Baylor brought in Alicia Andrew at the 18-9 point. After a Harrison and Talbert kill, Andrew went up for a block with Talbert to make it 18-13, pushing Iowa State to call timeout. The rest of the set was the Cyclones, even with blocks from Talbert, Harrison and the McGhees. Kara McGhee got a kill at 23-19, but ISU finished the set with a Duckworth kill at 25-19.

Set 4
The Bears seemed to have renewed vigor and Harrison came out firing in the fourth with a kill, then again to get the second and third BU points. ISU put up three points, but the Bears answered with another Harrison kill, now 4-4. The Cyclones challenged the call but it was confirmed. Three-straight points came from Iowa State including an ace. Talbert put a stop to it, but ISU was up 7-5. Talbert served up an ace, but ISU had two more points. Carlson had a kill at 9-7, then Elise McGhee at 10-9. Sczech brought the Bears within three at 13-11, and back-to back attack errors from the Cyclones tied it up at 13-all before a kill from ISU and an Iowa State block. The media timeout cut the run at 15-13 with ISU in the lead, and Harrison came out firing with a kill. Tied back up at 16-16, Kara McGhee put the Bears up. Tied up again at 17-17, it was Elise McGhee to tip it back in Baylor’s favor again. Iowa State challenged an attack error at 20-19, unsuccessfully, and out of it they got two kills. Kara tied it back up at 21-21, and Talbert at 23-22. Iowa State called back-to-back timeouts, the score now at match point, 24-22. Tied back up at 24-24, Talbert was the one to get BU’s next match point. Talbert and Elise McGhee got the block to finish up the match, 26-24, avenging the road loss.

STAT OF THE MATCH

  *   Kara McGhee had seven blocks against the Cyclones, while Elise McGhee was just behind her with six.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Kara McGhee had her 500th career block in the first set, a block assist with her sister, Elise.
  *   McGuyre is six wins away from becoming Baylor volleyball’s all-time winningest coach.
  *   Bears had three with double digit kills (K. McGhee, E. McGhee, L. Harrison) and Lauren Briseño led the team with double-digit digs.
  *   BU avenged the road loss to the Cyclones on Sept. 28 with the win.

QUOTABLE
Kara McGhee on her 500th career block
“I didn’t know that it was next to Elise, so that is special. I didn’t really expect it, so that was kind of fun hearing that at the end of the game. It’s always special playing with this team, so it’s special having that with this team, for sure.”

Head coach Ryan McGuyre
“Iowa State, great team, they’ve been battling so well in conference all year. They got a win over Texas, they’re going to do good in the tournament. Coach Christy (Johnson-Lynch) and that staff always does an amazing, amazing job of preparation and having good game plans. So, for us to win against teams like Iowa State – and there’s not a lot of them that prepared – I feel like we’ve got to be just as prepared and dialed-in. Obviously loved the battle and the 25-20, 25-20 in those first two sets, executed what we wanted to do. Probably high-error maybe in the first set, but defense, (Lauren) Briseno was doing a great job picking up tips spot-on. I thought our defensive touches were good, we were able to find Kara (McGhee), I thought a lot, in the first couple of sets. We really need to get both of these middles going even more down the stretch, but good for Mallory (Talbert) to crush the ball to give us match point. And then our blocking, sometimes it creates separation, and tonight it kind of saved us when we weren’t being beasts and swinging away, we got a couple blocks to side-out, where maybe I wish we would have first-ball killed it a little bit better. But, Elise put the exclamation point on the block there at the end. I feel like she’s done that in another match, too. The grit for this team is fun. I think Mallory, her best set was there at the end. Same, Allie (Szech) getting some kills in there as well. Gritty fight, glad that we could win at home. No rest. We’ve got another match coming up.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears head south on I-35 to face top-ranked Texas on Saturday for a 7 p.m. match in Gregory Gym.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com