Baylor MBB’s Grimes Elects to Redshirt for the 2022-23 Season

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sun Nov 6 18:03:51 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 7, 2022

Baylor MBB’s Grimes Elects to Redshirt for the 2022-23 Season
JUCO All-American aims to continue line of successful redshirts at BU
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s basketball announced Monday that junior guard Dantwan Grimes would redshirt for the upcoming season.

Grimes, a junior college All-American last year at Kilgore, will be the latest in a long line of Bears that redshirted in their first year on campus under Scott Drew. Grimes becomes the sixth player on the roster who has or is taking advantage of a redshirt year.

“After talking with the coaches, we decided it would be best for me to use my redshirt this season,” Grimes said. “This will allow me to challenge myself every day in practice against some of the most talented players in the country. Our staff has a long history of helping players reach their full potential during their redshirt season, and I hope to add my name to that list starting next season.”

Adam Flagler and Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua redshirted in 2019-20 while sitting out to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. Jordan Turner elected to redshirt in 2019-20, and Langston Love redshirted last season after suffering a knee injury in the preseason.

Previous redshirts under Drew include Davion Mitchell, MaCio Teague, Freddie Gillespie, Mark Vital, Ekpe Udoh, Johnathan Motley, Cory Jefferson, Brady Heslip, Jo Lual-Acuil Jr. and Manu Lecomte, all of whom have gone on to professional careers after redshirting.

Grimes played two years for Kilgore, leading the Rangers to the NJCAA National Tournament in both seasons, highlighted by a berth in the national quarterfinal last March. He started all 34 games in 2021-22, and 19 of 23 during the 2021 campaign, which was truncated because of COVID-19.

As a sophomore, Grimes earned second-team NJCAA All-America honors, leading the Rangers in points per game (14.1) and assists per game (3.2) while ranking fourth on the team in rebounds per game (4.1). Grimes helped Kilgore to a 31-3 (17-2) record, finishing the year as the No. 3 ranked team in Division I.

Kilgore followed up the Region XIV regular-season championship with a tournament championship thanks to a stellar performance by Grimes, who was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player after averaging 14.7 points, 4.7 steals and 1.7 assists.

At the NJCAA national tournament in Hutchinson, Kan., Grimes averaged 9.5 points, 5.0 rebounds and a team-leading 3.5 assists in two games.

In his freshman season, the Ocala, Fla., native was an integral part of a 17-6 Ranger team that captured the Region XIV Tournament Championship to get back to the national tournament for the first time since 2013.

Single-game<https://baylorbears.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=MBSG&linkID=baylor&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=> and season tickets<https://baylorbears.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=MBST&linkID=baylor&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=> are on sale now and can be purchased at BaylorBears.com<https://baylorbears.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=MBST&linkID=baylor&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=&utm_source=Evenue&utm_campaign=2223_MBB+Season+Tickets+-+Social>. Follow @BaylorMBB on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for additional updates.
www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF/)