Reid Gathers First MOP in No. 8 Baylor Equestrian’s Loss to No. 1 SMU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Nov 4 14:22:14 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 4, 2022

Reid Gathers First MOP in No. 8 Baylor Equestrian’s Loss to No. 1 SMU
Strong first half not enough as Bears fall, 13-6

DALLAS – No. 8 Baylor equestrian (1-4, 1-1) fell to No. 1 SMU (2-0, 0-0) Friday at the Dallas Equestrian Center by a final of 13-6.

The Bears rode strong in the first half, thanks in part to a 3-2 event win in Fences, and were tied with the Mustangs heading into the halftime break at 5-5. However, SMU made use of an 8-1 second half to pull away and hold off BU.

Freshman Lauren Reid picked up her first-career Most Outstanding Performer honor in Fences after scoring a meet-best 85 on Oliver. Dominika Silvestri was the only Jumping Seat Bear to go undefeated on the day, winning both her Fences and Flat rides over her opponents.

THE RUNDOWN
Baylor started strong in Fences to begin the day behind Reid’s 85, but also picked up points from Silvestri (82) and Maddie Vorhies (84) to edge the Mustangs in the event, 3-2.

Meanwhile in Horsemanship, the sophomore duo of Alexis Rutledge (74.5) and Nadalee Vasquez (76) collected points for the Bears, though SMU was able to knot the total tally at 5-5 following a 3-2 win of its own in the Western event.

After the break, the Mustangs came out firing and took a 4-1 victory in Flat. Silvestri put the point on the board for BU with 74 on Bravo.

Over in Reining, it was all SMU as a 4-0 win sealed the meet victory. Madaline Callaway put up an impressive 73 on Chips, tying her season-high and matching Baylor’s top Reining score of the season, but SMU’s Taylor Zimmerman did just as well to cancel out the point.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor collected an event win in Fences for the second-consecutive meet with a 3-2 victory.
• Lauren Reid earned her first-career Most Outstanding Performer honor in Fences after scoring a meet-high and career-high 85.
• Madaline Callaway tied her season-high and matched BU’s top Reining score of the season with a 73.

STAT OF THE MEET
85 – Lauren Reid scored a career-high 85 in Fences, also a meet-best, to collect her first-career MOP honors.

QUOTABLE
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet…
“Overall, our team rode really well today. We had a great first half and didn’t lose any of that momentum in the second half. There were a few more mistakes made in the second-half events, but I’m proud of our team for going for it in each ride and challenging the current number one team in their home arena. We had some very close scores and I still feel confident that we can work through these small issues and keep performing better in each meet.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 8 Baylor (1-4, 1-1) rounds out its fall slate by hosting Fresno State (0-3, 0-1) on Friday, Nov. 18, in Waco. First ride is set for 12 p.m.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)