No. 16 Baylor WGOLF Builds on Its Lead at Stillwater Regional

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Tue May 10 19:06:10 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 10, 2022

No. 16 Baylor WGOLF Builds on Its Lead at Stillwater Regional
BU’s Gurleen Kaur shoots 5-under 67 en route to the individual lead
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

STILLWATER, Okla. – Baylor women’s golf shot the fourth-best women’s team score in Karsten Creek history with a 3-under 285 on Tuesday to increase its lead to 13 shots after two rounds.

Gurleen Kaur climbed 14 spots to take the individual lead with a 5-under 67, which tied for the sixth-best women’s score in Karsten Creek history. The senior made bogeys at Nos. 3 and 6 to drop to 5-over for the tournament, but a birdie at No. 7 started a stretch of three-straight, to make the turn with a 1-under 35. Kaur capped a stretch of 4 birdies in six holes with a three at the par-4 12th, and finished with a flurry with a hole out for eagle at the par-4 17th and a birdie at No. 18.

Rosie Belsham climbed into a tie for second following a 1-under 71, her second-straight round at par or better. Following six-straight pars to open her round, the sophomore birdied Nos. 7 and 8 for a 2-under 34 on the front nine. She added a birdie at No. 14 to get to 3-under for the round, but bogeyed three-straight holes in dropping back to even and a tie for third. Belsham just missed a second-straight eagle on No. 18, but tapped in for an easy birdie to finish in a three-way tie for second.

Britta Snyder is one of the other two players tied for second after a 2-over 74 on Tuesday. Snyder, the overnight leader, made bogeys at Nos. 4 and 5 before carding her first birdie of the day at No. 6 for a 1-over 37 on the outward half. She made two more bogeys at Nos. 12 and 14, but rebounded by making a birdie at No. 17, one of just six birdies on that hole this week. A par at No. 18 kept her tied for second at 1-under for the championship.

Addie Baggarly shot a 1-over 73, three shots better than her score in round one, climbing into a tie for 18th. She got off to a good start with birdies at Nos. 2 and 5, but made a double bogey at No. 6 and a bogey at No. 8 for a 1-over 37 front-nine. Following a double-bogey at No. 12, the graduate transfer started on a birdie-birdie-bogey stretch to get back to 2-over on the round. Baggarly finished strong as one of four Bears to make birdie at No. 18 on Tuesday.

Hannah Karg was one of those four to birdie 18 en route to a 3-over 75. After an opening birdie, Karg made two bogeys at Nos. 2 and 4 and a triple-bogey at No. 5 to fall to 4-over. At No. 6, she embarked on a stretch of 12-straight pars that ended with her birdie at 18 to settle into a tie for 33rd entering Wednesday.

With Baylor the 36-hole leader at +1, Arizona State is in second place at 14-over, Clemson is in third place at 17-over and Oklahoma State is in fourth place at 18-over. With the top-four teams after Wednesday’s final round advancing to the NCAA Championship, Michigan State enters the final round on the outside looking in, one shot back of fourth place Oklahoma State and 18 shots back of the Bears.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      285 is Baylor’s sixth-best postseason round in program history.

•      Gurleen Kaur’s 67 tied for the fourth-best postseason round in program history.

•      Kaur tied Hayley Davis for the lowest second-round score in Baylor postseason history.

•      Kaur is tied for the best par-3 scoring average in the field at 2.75.

•      Rosie Belsham leads the field in par-5 scoring average (4.25) through two rounds.

•      Belsham and Kaur have eight birdies, tied for the most in the field.

•      No. 17 has been the second-toughest hole this week, playing to a stroke average of 4.80 for the tournament. BU had a stroke average of 3.60 at 17 on Wednesday.

•      Baylor leads the field in par-3 (2.98), par-4 (4.26) and par-5 (4.68) scoring average.

•      BU’s 31 birdies are the most in the field.

•      The Bears lead the field with four eagles for the week, including two by Kaur.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head coach Jay Goble: “I think we're one of the deepest teams here. Everybody can go out and shoot a good score for us, and I think that that gives us confidence. Our experience at Karsten Creek also gives us some confidence that might help us more than people who haven't been out here as much. I know how this place plays, and I know how quickly things can change, so we are going to keep our routine the same and we're going to come out here and try to do the same things that we've done the last two days and just fight hard for every shot.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor will play with Arizona State and Clemson in round three beginning at 9:06 a.m. with Hannah Karg, followed by Addie Baggarly at 9:17 a.m. Rosie Belsham will tee off at 9:28 a.m., just ahead of Britta Snyder at 9:39 a.m. The tournament leader, Gurleen Kaur, will play out of the anchor position and tee off at 9:50 a.m.

Live scoring will be available at golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=24318>. For more information on Baylor Women's Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]