No. 19 Baylor WGOLF Climbs to 10th Place at The Northrop Grumman

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Mon Mar 14 22:02:24 CDT 2022

No. 19 Baylor WGOLF Climbs to 10th Place at The Northrop Grumman
Two shoot even-par, Bears improve by 17 shots in the second round
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

PALOS VERDES ESTATES, Calif. – Baylor women’s golf jumped up four spots on Monday after a 3-over-par 287 in the second round of the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge at Palos Verdes Golf Club.

The 17-shot improvement from round one to round two was the most by any team in the field and put the Bears in 10th place at 23-over with a 36-hole total of 591.

Rosie Belsham tied for Baylor’s low round of the day with an even-par 71. Starting on No. 10 for the second-straight day, the Whitley Bay, England, native carded a pair of birdies on Nos. 12 and 17 to play her first nine at one-under par. Belsham added two more birdies at Nos. 3 and 5 before the wind really picked up, and she bogeyed three of her final four holes to get into the clubhouse with one of just 21 rounds at par or better on Monday.

Gurleen Kaur had a nice bounce-back on Monday as well, shooting an even-par 71, her first round at par or better since the opening round of the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate last month. Kaur bounced back from an early bogey at No. 12 with a pair of birdies at Nos. 14 and 16 to close out her opening nine with a 1-under 35. After making the turn, Kaur bogeyed the par-4 1st, but closed with eight-straight pars under challenging conditions to preserve her even-par round and climb into a tie for 38th.

Sophomore Britta Snyder shot a 1-over 72 in the second round, punctuated by a birdie on her final hole at No. 9 to improve by three shots from round one and pull into a tie for 38th, joining Kaur and fellow teammate Antonia Matte.

After shooting BU’s low round on Sunday, Matte shot a 2-over 73 to card the final counting score of the day for the Bears. She played her first 12 holes at even par with a pair of bogeys and a pair of birdies, but two more bogeys at Nos. 4 and 9 saw her finish at +6 through 36 holes.

On Monday, Addie Baggarly shot an 8-over 79 with three bogeys and a double on her opening nine. After making the turn at 7-over, the graduate transfer made one more bogey at the second hole before closing with seven-straight pars.

Oregon shot the low round of the day to surge into the lead with a two-day total of 566, one shot better than second-place Virginia. Wake Forest's Rachel Kuehn leads all individuals by six shots at 8-under par.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      Baylor was one of just four teams whose four counting scores were all under the field average of 73.74

•      BU’s 17-shot improvement was their best in a single round this season.

•      The Bears' 114 pars are the second-most in the field through 36 holes.

•      Freshman Antonia Matte continued to play well on the par 3's, playing them at even par through two rounds.

•      Britta Snyder’s 25 pars are tied for the fourth-most through 36 holes.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
Head Coach Jay Goble — “I think this is more of what we're expecting from them,” Goble said. “They played more like they're capable of playing. My message to them is that we're trying to play hard golf courses against good teams and trying to get into a position where we're scoring our ball as well as we can in hard conditions to get ready for the next two months of the season.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears will play the final round of the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge on Tuesday morning with a 10:00 a.m. CT shotgun start. Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=23392> For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>
Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]