No. 20 Baylor WGOLF Finishes Tied for 4th at Darius Rucker Intercollegiate

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Wed Mar 2 19:49:48 CST 2022

No. 20 Baylor WGOLF Finishes Tied for 4th at Darius Rucker Intercollegiate
BaiMai Seema shoots career-best score to lead the Bears in final round
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. – Baylor women’s golf shot a three-day total of 21-over 873 to finish in a tie for fourth with the University of Texas at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate on Wednesday.

Playing in the final group for the second day in a row, BU came to the final hole of the tournament in a tie for third with Arizona State and Texas, but ASU's Calynne Rosholt holed a chip shot to equal Baylor’s third-round total of 295 and edge the Bears by one for a third-place finish.

On a day where the scoring average was nearly 3.5 shots over par, freshman BaiMai Seema shot a career-best 1-under 70. After an even-par front nine, the freshman bogeyed the par-four 10th — which played as the second-hardest hole in round three — but bounced back with a birdie at the most challenging hole on Wednesday, the par-4 11th. From there, Seema parred her way to the house for a 1-under 70 to finish in a tie for 41st.

Fellow freshman Antonia Matte also played well in harsh conditions on Wednesday, shooting a 1-over 72. She went out with an even-par 36 but bogeyed two of her first three holes on the back-nine to fall to 2-over for the day. Matte played the final six holes at 1-under par to finish in a tie for 20th, her fourth top-25 finish of the season.

Britta Snyder notched her third top-25 of the season after finishing in a tie for 20th following a final-round score of 4-over 75 on.

Senior Gurleen Kaur shot a 7-over 78 in the final round to finish in a tie for 35th. She was eight over to through twelve holes but was able to play her last six holes at 1-under with a birdie at the par-4 14th.

Rosie Belsham shot an 8-over 79 in the final round to finish in a tie for 35th.

Wake Forest took the team title with a three-day total of 9-over 861, while Demon Deacon Carolina Lopez-Chacarra took home the individual title with a 4-under 209 to edge out Texas’ Bohyun Park, who shot a 2-under 211.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      Baylor beat four teams that entered this week with higher rankings than the Bears.

•      BU's 33 birdies tied for the fifth-most.

•      Antonia Matte led the Bears in par-5 scoring average with 4.78, which tied for the third-best in the field.

•      Gurleen Kaur led the Bears in par-4 stroke average with a 4.12.

•      Kaur also led the team with eight birdies in three rounds.

•      Rosie Belsham led BU with a par-3 scoring average of 3.00.

•      Britta Snyder led the Bears with 38 pars for the week.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head coach Jay Goble — “We're hanging with the best teams in the country right now, and I don't feel like we have our best game right now. We're not playing with our A-game or B-game even, in my opinion. Moving forward, there are good things ahead of us. We will build off of the good round we had on Monday. We hung in there on a hard golf course, and that's what we're going to have to do for the rest of the year, and that's what we're going to have to do to ultimately win the national championship at the end of the year.”

WHAT'S NEXT

Baylor will head west for the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge March 13-15 at Palos Verdes Golf Club in Palos Verdes, Calif. For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]