No. 2 Baylor MT Sweeps William & Mary to Start ITA Kickoff

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sun Jan 30 18:40:25 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 30, 2022

No. 2 Baylor MT Sweeps William & Mary to Start ITA Kickoff
Bears best W&M for 21st ITA Kickoff win
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The No. 2 Baylor men’s tennis team swept William & Mary, 4-0, on Sunday afternoon at the Hurd Tennis Center, keeping the Bears’ season and ITA Kickoff record perfect.

BU, now 5-0 on the season, is 21-0 all-time when playing in ITA Kickoff Weekend.

Four of the Bears’ five wins in dual play have been sweeps of their opponent. Baylor has now had 21 sweeps under second-year head coach Michael Woodson.

In doubles, the duo of Matias Soto and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi started the Bears off with a 6-0 sweep of W&M’s Joseph Brailovsky/Chen Ruo on court two. The pair are now 3-0 on the season when playing doubles together, all in the second position. It was the 18th-ranked BU twosome of Sven Lah and Finn Bass who clinched the point for Baylor, 6-1, over Harrison Brown/George Davis of the Tribe. Lah and Bass are now 5-0 on the season, all on court one.

On the singles side, Grassi Mazzuchi made quick work of Daniel Pellerito on court six, winning 6-2, 6-1 to finish first for the Bears. The Baylor newcomer is now 5-0 in the green and gold. Following the Argentinian’s win was Lah on court three, beating Sebastian Quiros 6-2, 6-3 to earn the third point for BU. Baylor clinched the win with Adrian Boitan’s win on court one over Davis, 6-4, 6-2. Boitan and Lah are both now 4-0 in dual play this season.

Three matches went unfinished, including Marko Miladinović’s, who saw his first match as a Baylor Bear facing Jack Kelly in the fourth position. The other two unfinished matches were Finn Bass on court five and Matias Soto on court two.

The Bears will face Miami in the championship at 2 p.m. on Monday afternoon, as Miami defeated Clemson, 4-1, in the earlier matchup on the day. Baylor and the Hurricanes look to advance to the ITA Indoor National Championship with a win. Clemson will play William & Mary in the consolation matchup at 11 a.m.

If Baylor makes it to Seattle, Washington, for ITA Indoors, it will be their 11th trip to the tournament and second under Woodson.

A full recap and final statistics from the match with Miami will be uploaded to BaylorBears.com after the conclusion of the match. Live stats and live streaming are available on the men’s tennis page.

QUOTABLE – head coach Michael Woodson
“It was great to be back outside at Hurd again competing. The fans were great and the energy was good. We knew we had to be prepared for a tough match, they play disciplined tennis and they really pushed us today. It wasn’t our best tennis but we competed hard and played the big points well when we needed to. It’s always good to advance in Kickoff Weekend and we’re looking forward to the chance to compete again tomorrow.”

QUOTABLE – senior Sven Lah
“Finn Bass and I are getting a rhythm in, in the fall we felt like we struggled a little bit but this start has been okay. I think it was helpful to get so many matches in early as we’re going to be playing the best team we’ve seen so far this season tomorrow. I enjoy playing with Finn and it’s always good to get a win.”

QUOTABLE – junior Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi
“It was good - winning quickly in doubles and singles. I think it gives some perspective for the team and for the other guys still playing. I feel like winning in doubles helps keep your energy up; you always have to keep the energy. If you lose the doubles point it’s hard to bounce back.”

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

TENNIS RESULTS
#2 Baylor (4) vs. William & Mary (0)
Waco, Texas – Hurd Tennis Center
SINGLES COMPETITION
1. Adrian Boitan (BU) def. George Davis (WM) 6-4, 6-2
2. Matias Soto (BU) def. Harrison Brown (WM) 7-6(4), 4-1 unfinished
3. Sven Lah (BU) def. Sebastian Quiros (WM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Marko Miladinović (BU) def. Jack Kelly (WM) 5-7, 5-3 unfinished
5. Finn Bass (BU) vs. Joseph Brailovsky (WM) 3-6, 6-5 unfinished
6. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi (BU) def. Daniel Pellerito (WM) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 3, 1

DOUBLES COMPETITION
1. #18 Sven Lah/Finn Bass (BU) def. Harrison Brown/George Davis (WM) 6-1
2. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi/Matias Soto (BU) def. Joseph Brailovsky/Chen Ruo (WM) 6-0
3. Adrian Boitan/Tadeas Paroulek vs. Finbar Talcott/Daniel Pellerito (WM) 5-1 unfinished
Order of finish: 3, 1

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)