No. 16 Baylor Women's Golf Finishes Second at The Desert Match Play

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sat Jan 22 20:10:22 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 22, 2022
No. 16 WGOLF Finishes Second at The Desert Match Play
Rosie Belsham led the Bears with 19 points in the event
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

Scottsdale, Ariz. – Baylor women’s golf finished second in its first event of the spring, scoring 63.5 points on Saturday in The Desert Match Play against Texas A&M and USC at Kierland Golf Club in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Each of Baylor’s six players competed in three different nine-hole matches against USC and Texas A&M. Points were awarded for a match victory, and additional points were awarded for the margin of victory over each opponent.

BU’s Rosie Belsham led the way, going undefeated. She beat all six of her opponents, collecting 19 points in the process. Her day was highlighted by beating Texas A&M’s No. 1 player by two points and USC’s No. 1 player by two points.

Texas A&M won the three-team event, scoring 72.5 points. Other than not coming away with the team victory, Baylor’s Jay Goble was pleased with what he saw from his squad.

“We accomplished most of the things we were looking to accomplish over the last two days,” Goble said. “The only thing we missed out on was a team victory. What we did do was knock the rust off, compete and grind over shots that meant something. Most importantly, we played a whole day of match play. It would have been nice to bring a trophy home, but Texas A&M played very well today and they deserved the win.”

Gurleen Kaur scored 14.5 points, including a pair of five-point wins over USC’s No. 3 player and No. 1 player.

After falling to her first two opponents in the early morning session, freshman Antonia Matte won 8.5 points on the day.

Britta Snyder got off to a strong start by collecting four points in her first match of the day. She would finish the day with eight points, the fourth-most on the team.

Freshman BaiMai Seema swept her late morning matches against USC and Texas A&M before finishing the day with seven points.

Graduate transfer Addie Baggarly made her debut in green and gold on Saturday. She got her first victory for the Bears with a three-point win against USC’s No. 5 player in the late morning match. She finished the day with 6.5 points.

USC finished a distant third in the event with a team score of 30.

Baylor will return to competition at the Moon Golf Invitational at Duran Golf Club in Melbourne, Fla., February 20-22.

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications | Baylor University
C: 254-227-2280

[cid:54E1C264-CCBD-4145-8720-CBB53143EB50]