No. 15 Baylor WGOLF Climbs Leaderboard at Moon Golf Invitational

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Mon Feb 21 16:41:07 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 21, 2022
No. 15 Baylor WGOLF Climbs Leaderboard at Moon Golf Invitational
Three Bears shoot par or better in round two to move into the top 10
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>
MELBOURNE, Fla. – Baylor women’s golf had a strong bounce-back in Monday’s round two of the 54-hole Moon Golf Invitational, shooting a second-round even-par 288 to put them in ninth place with 18 holes to play.

After not taking advantage of the par 5's on Sunday, BU had its four counting players record birdies on the par-5 10th, the team’s opening hole of the day.

For the second-straight day, Gurleen Kaur led the way for Baylor. She shot a 1-under 71, which was her ninth round of par or better this season. The senior enters the final round in a tie for ninth individually.

In the second round, Rosie Belsham responded to an opening-round 79 with a 1-under 71 on Monday. The sophomore from Whitley Bay, England, birdied three of her final five holes to secure her seventh round at par or better this season.

Freshman Antonia Matte also played very well in windy conditions with an even-par 72. She improved by 15 spots on the individual leaderboard, with her strong showing, moving into a tie for 58th. It was her first round at par or better since the second round of the Rainbow Wahine Invitational, where she shot a 3-under 69.

BU's final counting score for the day came from Britta Snyder, who shot a 2-over 74 to pull into a tie for 46th individually. Snyder started hot with birdies on her first two holes of the day. After an even-par opening nine, Snyder started the back nine with eight straight pars before making a double-bogey six at the par-4 ninth.

Hannah Karg shot a 10-over 82 on Monday and is currently in a tie for 74th.

The Bears enter Tuesday’s final round three shots behind eighth-place South Carolina and one shot ahead of 10th-place Arkansas. Florida State is at 3-under par and sits two shots clear of Virginia for the tournament lead.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      On Monday, all four of Baylor's counting scores were below the field average of 74.15.

•      Gurleen Kaur has played the par-4’s at an average of 3.80, tied for the second-best in the field.

•      Rosie Belsham’s 2.88 par-3 scoring average tied for the second-best mark in the field.

•      Hannah Karg’s 28 pars through two rounds are the third-most in the field.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head Coach Jay Goble — “We had a nice talk after the round yesterday,” Goble said. “I tried to get them to see that, just because we had one bad day at the start of our year doesn't really mean a whole lot. We can move forward from here and play a good round today and tomorrow. We talked about expecting to play well, and I think maybe that was the difference between yesterday and today. We went out there expecting to shoot good scores and to play well.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears will close out the event with 18 more holes on Tuesday morning, beginning at 7:00 a.m. CT off the No. 1 tee. Hannah Karg will lead things off, followed by Antonia Matte at 7:10 and Britta Snyder at 7:20. Rosie Belsham will go off at 7:30, followed by Gurleen Kaur in the anchor position at 7:40. Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=23452>. For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]