No. 15 Baylor WGOLF Wraps Up First Round at Moon Golf Invitational

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 20 18:00:57 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 20, 2022
No. 15 Baylor WGOLF Wraps Up First Round at Moon Golf Invitational
Gurleen Kaur sets the pace for the Bears after round one of 54-hole event
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

MELBOURNE, Fla. – Baylor women’s golf wrapped up the first round of the Moon Golf Invitational in 12th place on Sunday at Suntree Country Club.

BU’s score of 13-over 301 was spearheaded by senior Gurleen Kaur, who played her second nine at 2-under par to finish the day with an even-par 72 and tied for 11th individually. Sunday marked Kaur's eighth round at par or better this season.

Hannah Karg made the most of her first start in the lineup since late September, shooting Baylor’s second-best score, a 2-over 74. Karg was steady all day, making just one bogey on each nine as the only blemishes on her card.

Britta Snyder shot a 4-over 76 in the first round, good enough for a tie for 48th. Snyder started with a triple-bogey on her opening hole but bounced back to play her next 14 holes at 1-under par. She had bogeys on two of her last three holes to close out the round.

Freshman Antonia Matte started strong with a birdie on her third hole of the day before ultimately shooting a 7-over 79.

Sophomore Rosie Belsham also shot a 79 on Sunday to put her in a tie for 71st as an individual.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      Gurleen Kaur played the par-4’s at an average of 3.70, tied for the best in the field with four other golfers.

•      Hannah Karg made 16 pars, which was tied for the most in the field with one other player.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head Coach Jay Goble — “Sometimes, getting out of the gate and getting that first round under your belt is hard, and that is a lot of what we dealt with today. We haven't played a competitive round as a team in this setting in three or three and a half months, so I think that getting back into scoring your own golf ball in tournament conditions sometimes can be a challenge. But we were kind of sloppy. Just recognizing that and being able to make a plan to move forward from there is what we're going to hang our hat on, but today was a frustrating day.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears will resume play in the second round at 7:30 a.m. CT on Monday morning on the No. 10 tee. Hannah Karg will lead things off, followed by Britta Snyder at 7:40. Antonia Matte will tee off at 7:50, Rosie Belsham will tee off at 8:00, and Gurleen Kaur will tee off at 8:00 a.m. Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=23452>. For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]