No. 15 Baylor WGOLF Resumes Spring Season at Moon Golf Invitational

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 19 09:47:41 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 19, 2022
No. 15 Baylor WGOLF Resumes Spring Season at Moon Golf Invitational
The Bears are one of nine top-25 teams in the field
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

MELBOURNE, Fla. – Baylor women’s golf will play its first stroke-play event of the spring beginning Sunday at the Moon Golf Invitational in Melbourne, Florida.

The Bears played The Desert Match Play in January to knock some rust off, but head coach Jay Goble wants Sunday’s opening round to start BU’s build to a long postseason.

“My expectations are high,” Goble said. “I think that we have a good team, and we're taking a good team out there, but at the end of the day, I want us to get better from here. I want us to go out there and see where we need to improve and move forward from there, getting ready for April and May.”

Senior Gurleen Kaur has solidified herself as a fixture at the top of the Bears’ lineup, but she has seen fierce competition for the other four spots in this lineup.

“We played seven qualifying rounds for our first event, and it's just been really tight,” she said. “The competition is good. My freshman and sophomore year — for the most part — we knew who was going to go to the tournament. But this year, the 4-5-6-7 spots in our lineup have been different.”
Kaur will tee off in the anchor position at 9:50 a.m. CT on Sunday, following Rosie Belsham at 9:40 a.m. in the No. 2 spot. Belsham feels this team is ready for the first stroke-play event of the spring season.
“We've all grinded really hard for this event,” Belsham said. “I think everyone sees this as the first event of the season, and I think we’re very confident. Everyone is so competitive in qualifying, everyone knows we're a strong team, and I think everyone expects that we can win.”
After an impressive fall season, where she shot par or better in five of her first six collegiate rounds, freshman Antonia Matte will play out of the No. 3 spot. She will look for a solid start to the spring season when she tees off at 9:30 a.m.

Britta Snyder is coming off a second-place finish in her last stroke-play event, the Rainbow Wahine Invitational. She was second on the team with seven rounds at par or better in the fall, and she will aim to carry that over to the spring when she tees off at 9:20 a.m.

Hannah Karg will make her first start in the lineup since late September at the Schooner Fall Classic. She will lead things off for the Bears at 9:10 a.m.

Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=23452>. For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]