Baylor MGOLF Set to Open Spring Slate at Border Olympics

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 13 09:42:27 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 13, 2022
Baylor MGOLF Set to Open Spring Slate at Border Olympics
Seven Bears will compete at Laredo Country Club
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>
WACO, Texas – Baylor men's golf will begin its spring season by making its 29th appearance all-time at the Border Olympics in Laredo Monday morning at Laredo Country Club.
Monday will mark Baylor’s first team competition since winning its final two matches at the Big 12 Match Play Championship in mid-October. Head coach Mike McGraw is looking forward to getting his team back on the course and seeing the fruits of their labor during the break.
“I don't even think we can relate to the fall; it's been that long ago,” McGraw said. “In 35 years of coaching, I can't recall an offseason where our guys did more on their own to try to improve. I’m excited about that because you just never know how it's going to yield fruit in competition, but I know we're a better team than we were on October 15.”
BU’s battle on the border will be spearheaded by Johnny Keefer in the No. 1 spot, coming off a fall season where he led the team in stroke average (71.55).
"I'm so excited," Keefer said. "I think this team has a really good energy, and I think we're going to have a really good spring season. I can't wait to get that started."
Mark Reppe will play out of the No. 2 spot for the Bears. All nine of Reppe’s stroke-play rounds counted towards the team's score during the fall. He feels like this team is playing better this spring, and he is looking forward to seeing that play out in Laredo.
“It's been really cool to see a lot of the improvements guys have made,” he said. “The scores for our last qualifier have been lower than in the fall. You can already see lots of improvement, and that's really exciting to see.”
Trey Bosco will play in the No. 3 spot. He is making his first start for the team since the Fighting Illini Invitational in September.
Freshman Drew Wrightson will also be making his first appearance in the lineup since The Fighting Illini Invitational. He earned the No. 4 spot for McGraw after a strong qualifying effort.
Sophomore Luke Morgan will play out of the No. 5 spot. He is making his first start since the Big 12 Match Play, winning his final two matches.
In addition to the five players in the lineup, Baylor will have two individuals in the field. Zach Heffernan will be making his first career start as an individual after a pair of starts in the lineup last fall. Tyler Isenhart will make his second start of the season as an individual after playing in the Little Rock Invitational in late October.
The tournament will begin with an 8:00 a.m. shotgun start. The team will start on hole Nos. 1-4. Heffernan will start on No. 13 and Isenhart will begin his round on No. 14. Live stats can be found on golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=24506>
For more information on Baylor Men’s Golf, follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]