Baylor MGOLF Readies for Big 12 Championship

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 23 23:27:20 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 24, 2022

Baylor MGOLF Readies for Big 12 Championship
BU makes its seventh trip to Whispering Pines for the Big 12 Championship
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

TRINITY, Texas – Baylor men’s golf will open play at the Big 12 Championship on Monday morning at Whispering Pines, looking to secure a spot in the postseason.

Baylor’s best finish in its seven Big 12 Championship appearances at Whispering Pines is fifth place three times, including the last trip in 2016.

The Bears, coming off a sixth-place finish at the ASU Thunderbird Collegiate, need a win in Trinity to clinch a postseason berth, and head coach Mike McGraw is confident this team can get it done.

“There's no reason we can't win the golf tournament — just no reason at all,” McGraw said. “We have plenty of talented players, and our guys are close to home, so I think we can go out there, and if we play well, we can contend to win the championship.”

Playing out of the No. 1 spot for the 11th time this season, junior Johnny Keefer said he likes the look of the team after the sixth-place finish in a loaded field in Arizona.

“I think all of our guys are in really good shape right now,” he said. “We have a lot of momentum coming from ASU, and I think we can play really well this week. We all have the right attitude, we know what's at stake, and we know what we have to do.”

Mark Reppe, who made the All-Tournament Team last year, will play out of the No. 2 spot for the eighth time this season. The senior feels like this team was able to cut it loose in Phoenix and believes that will carry over to this week.

“We really have nothing to lose,” he said. “I think a lot of us went out and played a little bit more free. I think taking that same mentality to Big 12 is going to help us a lot, and if we just do that, we'll see where the chips fall.”

Luke Dossey shot a career-best 67 in the final round of the Thunderbird and will play at the No. 3 spot this week. The junior is making his fifth spring start and enters having shot under par in two of his last three rounds.

This week, Zach Heffernan will play at No. 4, marking his fourth start in the lineup this spring. The freshman tied a career-best with a 71 in the second round of the Thunderbird Collegiate in his last start.

Fellow freshman Drew Wrightson will play at No. 5, making his sixth start of the season.

The 72-hole event will begin with 36 holes on Monday, followed by 18 holes in each of the last two rounds on Tuesday and Wednesday. BU will be paired with Kansas on day one and open the championship on No. 10 at 8:22 a.m. In the afternoon session, they will tee off on No. 1 beginning at 1:52 p.m.

Live scoring is available at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=24316&utm_medium=sidearm-email&utm_source=big12sports.com&utm_campaign=Big+12+Men%e2%80%99s+Golf+Championship+Set+for+Whispering+Pines&utm_content=29ae725d-d68d-4c26-b19c-0b08d2679b05> For more information on Baylor Men’s Golf, follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>