No. 15 Baylor WGOLF in 3rd Place After Two Rounds at Big 12 Championship

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 23 20:09:20 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 23, 2022
No. 15 Baylor WGOLF in 3rd Place After Two Rounds at Big 12 Championship
Three Bears are in the top-10 following Saturday’s round
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.ed<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>u

HOCKLEY, Texas – On a day where only two players in the field broke par, Baylor women’s golf shot a 17-over 288 on Saturday, settling into third place entering the final round.

Texas leads Oklahoma State by nine shots and BU by 11, following a 3-over 287 in Saturday’s second round.

With the wind blowing at 20-miles-per-hour through much of the afternoon, Hannah Karg battled her way to a 1-over 72. Following a 2-over front nine, the junior birdied Nos. 11 and 13 to get back to even par on the day before a bogey at No. 17 dropped her to 1-over. A par at the last secured a tie for 6th place, individually, entering the final round.

Britta Snyder carded Baylor’s second-best round of the day with a 4-over 75, almost a full shot better than the 75.91 stroke average on Saturday. The Ames, Iowa, native played her first seven holes at even par, but closed the front nine with a bogey at eight and a double-bogey at nine. Two more bogeys at Nos. 10 and 15 dropped her to 5-over, but she closed the round positively with a birdie at the 18th.

Addie Baggarly carded a 6-over 77 on Saturday, but remained in a tie for 6th with 18 holes to play. Baggarly bounced back from a bogey at No. 2 with a birdie at No. 3 to get back to even par, but another bogey at four and a double bogey at seven saw her card a 3-over 38 on her opening nine. After a bogey-double-bogey stretch at Nos. 11 and 12, the graduate transfer closed the round with six-straight pars.

Rosie Belsham also shot a 77 on Saturday and is currently tied for 10th place. The Whitley Bay, England native began the day with a bang, making a long eagle putt at the par-5 4th, before three bogeys in her next five holes dropped her back to 1-over on her opening nine. Belsham shot a 5-over 41 on the back with bogeys at Nos 10, 17 and 18 and a double-bogey at No. 15.

Gurleen Kaur is tied for 26th entering Sunday after a 7-over 78 on Saturday. The senior made a triple-bogey seven at the par-4 2nd and added two more bogeys at Nos. 5 and 6 to fall to 5-over on the day. Kaur battled back with birdies at Nos. 8 and 10, but finished with bogeys at Nos. 12 and 17 around a double bogey at No. 15.

Lianna Bailey of Oklahoma State has a four-shot lead over Texas’ Bohyun Park. Hannah Karg and Addie Baggarly are eight shots back of Bailey entering Sunday.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      Baylor's three individuals in the top-10 are the second-most in the field.

•      The Bears lead the field in par-5 scoring average through two rounds (4.85).

•      BU’s 117 pars lead the field.

•      Rosie Belsham has one of only three eagles this weekend.

•      Hannah Karg and Gurleen Kaur are tied for the second-best par-5 scoring average (4.63).

•      Karg is tied for the third-best par-3 scoring average (3.00).

•      Addie Baggarly has the second-best par-4 scoring average this weekend (4.00).

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head coach Jay Goble: “It was a really tough day,” Goble said. “We fought hard, but we couldn't get many things going, which was tough. I'm really proud of Hannah [Karg]. She was kind of thrust into the lineup two days before, so to come out on a really tough day and shoot one over was great. We’ve got to regroup now, though, because we still have a chance to have a good day tomorrow on a golf course where a large lead could change pretty fast. So, if we come out here with the right attitude tomorrow and play our game, I think we can possibly flip this thing around again.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The final round will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday for the Bears, who will be paired with Texas and Oklahoma State. Gurleen Kaur will be first off, followed by Britta Snyder at 10:10 for a second-straight day. Rosie Belsham will tee off at 10:20, followed by Hannah Karg at 10:30. Addie Baggarly will be last off once again at 10:40 a.m.

Live scoring will be available at golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=24318>. For more information on Baylor Women's Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]