No. 15 Baylor WGOLF Leads After Day One of The Big 12 Championship

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 22 17:26:11 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 22, 2022
No. 15 Baylor WGOLF Leads After Day One of The Big 12 Championship
BU’s Baggarly shoots a 2-under 69, one of four players under par Friday
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

HOCKLEY, Texas – Baylor women’s golf picked up where it left off Friday, leading Iowa State and Texas by three shots after a 4-over 288 in round one of the Big 12 Championship at The Clubs at Houston Oaks.

Friday marked the first time Baylor has held the first-round lead at the Big 12 Championship since 2018. That year, The Bears also shot an opening-round 288 at Dallas Athletic Club en route to a tie for second.

Addie Baggarly is a shot off the individual lead in second place after recording a 69 on Friday, her fourth score of par or better in her last five rounds. The graduate transfer, playing in her fourth conference tournament, started fast with three birdies in her first six holes to race to the top of the leaderboard. After a 32 on her opening nine, Baggarly had just one bogey on the difficult back nine to finish in the 60s for the third time in her last four rounds.

Rosie Belsham shot an even-par 71 on Friday, one of just nine golfers to finish at par or better. After a birdie-bogey start, Belsham got back into red figures with a birdie at the par-5 4th. From there, she made 12-straight pars before her final bogey of the day at No. 17, which played as the sixth-hardest hole in round one.

In her first competitive round since February, Hannah Karg finished in a tie for 16th after a 3-over 74. After a bogey at No. 2, Karg bounced back with a birdie at No. 4 and was at even-par until a bogey at the par-4 9th to drop to 1-over through nine. She returned to even-par with a birdie at the 11th before finishing with bogeys at Nos. 12, 14 and 17.

Gurleen Kaur also finished at 3-over on Friday, snapping a streak of five-straight rounds at par or better. The senior had an up-and-down opening nine with three birdies and three bogeys, adding up to an even-par 35. She opened the second nine with a birdie at No. 10 to get back under par, but closed with two bogeys and a double-bogey for an opening-round 74.

Britta Snyder was also one of the eight players to finish tied for 16th at 3-over after round one. Snyder played steady on the front nine, making eight pars, with her only blemish being a double-bogey five at the par-3 5th. Following the double, she made 12-straight pars until a bad bounce on her tee shot at the 18th put her behind a tree, but she was able to salvage a bogey to finish off her 74.

The Bears are three shots clear of the Longhorns and the Cyclones, four shots clear of TCU and seven shots clear of fifth-place Oklahoma State.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      Baylor was the only team in the field to have all five players beat the field average of 75.13.

•      BU led the field in Par-4 scoring (4.13) and par-5 scoring (4.70).

•      The Bears' 63 pars Friday were the most in the field.

•      Addie Baggarly’s par-4 scoring average of 3.78 tied for the best mark in the field on Friday.

•      Gurleen Kaur tied for the best par-5 scoring average on day one (4.50).

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head coach Jay Goble: “I think this is a challenging place, and you throw a 20-mile-per-hour wind in that mix, and it makes it even tougher,” he said. “I think that they battled really hard. The last couple of holes were a little tough, but I believe we are where we need to be, and there are still two more days of this golf tournament. I feel like we will regroup and get ready for a great finish to the rounds tomorrow and Sunday.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Round two of the Big 12 Championships will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday for the Bears, who will be paired with Texas and Iowa State. Hannah Karg will be first off, followed by Britta Snyder at 10:10. Gurleen Kaur will tee off at 10:20, followed by Rosie Belsham at 10:30, before Addie Baggarly rounds things out for BU at 10:40.

Live scoring will be available at golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=24318>. For more information on Baylor Women's Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

 www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]