No. 17 Baylor WGOLF Captures the Bruzzy Challenge Title

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Tue Apr 12 16:56:36 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 12, 2022
No. 17 Baylor WGOLF Captures the Bruzzy Challenge Title
BU’s Kaur shoots a 2-under 70 to finish 2nd
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

FORT WORTH, Texas – Baylor women’s golf held off an impressive field for its second win of the season, shooting a 21-under 843 at the Bruzzy Challenge at Waterchase Golf Club.

Gurleen Kaur came up just a shot shy of her fifth-career win with a 2-under 70 in Tuesday’s final round. Kaur played her opening nine at even par with a birdie and a bogey before a double-bogey seven at No. 10 dropped her to 2-over. The senor rallied with a brilliant second shot into the par-5 13th to record her third eagle of the week. She then birdied Nos. 16 and 18 to get within one shot of TCU’s Sabrina Iqbal, who shot a 9-under 63 on Tuesday.

Addie Baggarly recorded her career-best finish at Baylor, a tie for 7th, with a 54-hole total of 4-under 212. In the final round, the Tennessee native carded a birdie on her third hole of the day at the par-4 5th to get in red figures, but a double-bogey at No. 8 dropped her to 1-over. With four bogeys in her first five back-nine holes, Baggarly dropped to 5-over par, but responded with birdies on three of her next four holes to finish the round with a 2-over 74.

Britta Snyder capped off another strong week in a tie for 9th with a 54-hole total of 3-under 213. The sophomore opened her round Tuesday with a bogey at the first hole before adding a birdie at No. 6 to get back to even through nine. After a bogey at the par-4 11th, the sophomore played her final seven holes at 2-under par, highlighted by birdies at Nos. 13 and 18.

Rosie Belsham notched a tie for 14th in Fort Worth following a 1-over 217 over three rounds. After a bogey on her first hole of the day at the par-3 2nd, Belsham bounced back with birdies at Nos. 5 and 6. She eventually fell to 6-over through 15 holes, but the sophomore birdied her penultimate hole, the par-5 18th, for a final-round 77.

Antonia Matte finished her week strong with a 1-under 71, jumping six spots on the final day into a tie for 23rd. She played her first 13 holes at 1-under with a pair of birdies and a bogey before finishing with bogeys at No. 17 and 2 and birdies at No. 18 and 3.

On Tuesday, Anika Veintemilla recorded a career-best 72 to finish in a tie for 58th at 11-over. She opened with a birdie on her first hole of the day at No. 5 before dropping back to 1-over with bogeys at Nos. 8 and 12. A bogey at No. 1 put her back above par but followed that up with a birdie at No. 2 before finishing with two more pars.

BaiMai Seema finished in a tie for 69th after a 6-over 78 in the final round.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      Baylor has now won both appearances at the Bruzzy Challenge, its last coming in 2019.

•      BU’s score of 843 was the ninth-best in program history.

•      21-under is the 7th best score in program history relative to par.

•      BU led the field in Par-5 scoring average at 4.75.

•      Baylor's seven eagles were the most by far; Charlotte was second with three.

•      The Bears’ 56 birdies were the second most.

•      Gurleen Kaur notched her 5th top-5 finish of the season.

•      With 12-career top-fives, Kaur tied Melanie Hagewood for the third-most in program history.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head coach Jay Goble: “I feel really good about coming away with a win. Obviously, we did not have our best stuff today, so to come back and actually still shoot under par, even when we didn't have our ‘A-game,' is really exciting moving into the postseason. We started strong (Monday) and had seven eagles for the week, which I've never seen before. I think we're peaking and progressing into the postseason the way I want to see, and we’re excited to get to Houston Oaks in 10 days or so. I absolutely feel that this team can make a really deep run the rest of the year.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears will travel to the Big 12 Championship April 22-24 at the Golf Club at Houston Oaks. For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]