WGOLF: Baylor Women’s Golf Completes Run at Prestigious Stephens Cup

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Wed Oct 20 14:41:39 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 20, 2021

Baylor Women’s Golf Completes Run at Prestigious Stephens Cup
Bears Will Wrap Up Fall Schedule at Hawaii Tournament
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>
THE RUNDOWN
ROLAND, Arkansas – Baylor women’s golf finished sixth on Wednesday at the Jackson T. Stephens Cup after dropping its match-play session against Virginia.
The Bears started strong when BiaMai Seema and Britta Snyder took one-up leads in their matches with birdies at the par-5 first.
Snyder was in a battle early with Virginia’s Beth Lillie. The pair traded birdies on each of the first five holes, allowing Snyder to take a one-up lead to the par-3 sixth. Lillie, however would win the next two holes to take the lead in the match for good, eventually beating Snyder 6&4.
Seema also had control of her match on the front-nine, taking a three-up lead against Celeste Valinho through the first three holes. Valinho would tie the match with a par at the par-3 11th and take her first lead after the par-4 12th. Seema would remain one-down and force the match to the 16th hole. Her putt to extend the match, though slid past the hole and gave Valinho the 2&1 win.
Baylor’s half point came from senior Gurleen Kaur, who battled her way through all 18 holes with Riley Smyth. Kaur fell behind to Smyth’s birdie on the first hole but would tie the match at the par-4 3rd. Smyth took the lead back on the sixth hole and kept it until Kaur wrestled it back to even after 15 holes. With a win at No. 17, Smyth took a one-up lead to the 18th tee, but Kaur would par the last hole to tie the match.
Rosie Belsham also fell behind early going three-down after six holes. Two straight wins by Belsham at Nos. 9 and No. 10, though, would get the deficit back to just one-down. Belsham would eventually tie the match with a birdie at No. 14. The two went to No. 17 tied, but a win by Virginia Bossi would put the Cavaliers in front for good in the match.
Freshman Antonia Matte would tie her first two holes, before eventually falling five-down after 13. She birdied the par-5 14th to extend the match, but a tie at the 15th would end that match at 4&3 in favor of Virginia’s Amanda Sambach.

HIGHLIGHTS:

•      Three of Baylor’s five matches were within a single point on the 17th hole.

•      Gurleen Kaur played the Par-4’s in 3-under, which led the field on Wednesday.

•      Kaur’s 14 pars also were tops in the field.

•      She finished at even-par on the par 3’s.

•      Rosie Belsham and BaiMai Seema played the par-5’s at 1-under-par on Wednesday.
Quote of the Day:
Head Coach Jay Goble – “This week didn't work out exactly the way we wanted, but I think moving forward, if we learn from this, I believe we're going to be in a good place,” Goble said. “It’s the middle of October and we don't play the national championship until the end of May, so I feel like we're going to be in a good place.”
What’s Next:
The Bears will head for Hawaii to close out their fall slate at the Rainbow Wahine Invitational<http://hawaiiathletics.com/>, beginning Monday, October 25th. For more information on Baylor Women's Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications | Baylor University
C: 254-227-2280

[cid:54E1C264-CCBD-4145-8720-CBB53143EB50]