No. 3 Baylor EQ Handles No. 6 Fresno State, 11-7

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Nov 20 15:04:16 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 20, 2021

No. 3 Baylor EQ Handles No. 6 Fresno State, 11-7
Bears bounce back to close out fall slate

WACO, Texas – No. 3 Baylor equestrian (4-2, 2-1) handled No. 6 Fresno State (4-5, 1-2) in an 11-7 meet to close out the fall season Saturday afternoon at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco.

BU jumped out to an early lead, 6-2, at halftime behind strong performances in Fences and Reining. The Bears set the tone early with four rides at or above 80 on the Jumping Seat side, as Caroline Fuller, Savannah Hemby, Dominika Silvestri and Maddie Vorhies recorded points.

Meanwhile in the Western arena, Andie Pratt scored a season-high 76.5 and Shelby Clausen added a tally as the Bears took the event 2-1.

After the break, two big rides helped the Bulldogs take Flat, 3-2. It was Madison Mitchell and Silvestri who scored the points for BU. Then, in Horsemanship, Baylor held off Fresno State’s comeback bid with a solid 3-2 event win. Marley Mainwaring, Elsie Naruszewicz and Ellen Schrotenboer were the point-winners that put the meet out of reach.

NOTABLES
• Baylor improved to 4-2 against ranked opponents this season.
• BU improved to 14-5 all-time against Fresno State.
• Caroline Fuller remained undefeated in Fences through six meets this season.
• Andie Pratt (Reining) and Dominika Silvestri (Fences) were named Most Outstanding Performers.
• Pratt earned the first MOP of her career.
• Silvestri collected her second-career MOP, first in Fences, with a career-best 85.
• Madison Mitchell tallied a career-high 81.5 in Flat.

STAT OF THE MEET
76.5 – Andie Pratt’s season-high score in Reining, which also earned her MOP honors for the first time in her career.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On ending the fall season with a win…
“I’m really happy to finish this semester with a win. We have this confidence, a notch under their belt for the girls. We talked about not letting yesterday’s loss set the tone for today’s approach. I was really proud of how the girls cleaned that slate. They came out with fresh minds and the confidence they’ve had all semester. We had a couple mistakes today that are not normal for us, but we can take that and work on it. I’m really happy to see them ride confidently and finish the fall semester with a win.”

Jumping Seat junior Dominika Silvestri
On her MOP ride…
“I actually rode Julian yesterday against Auburn. I had a few mistakes that I knew I had to clean up. I had some redeeming to do. I went in there with a clean slate. I rode the path that we had practiced all week. I did what I had to do and he was a very good boy.”

Reining junior Andie Pratt
On her mindset heading into her ride…
“My plan is always to just stay calm. No matter what the girl scored before me or if I’m going first or second. Horses respond to staying cool and relaxed. I was really confident in Jon Snow. He’s one of my favorites to ride.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 3 Baylor (4-2, 2-1) heads to Hildrebrand Equine Complex in College Station for a rematch with No. 4 Texas A&M (6-1, 3-0) on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)