XC: XC Readies for NCAA South Central Regional

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Thu Nov 11 14:35:05 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 11, 2021

XC Readies for NCAA South Central Regional
Bears compete Friday morning at Cottonwood Creek Golf Course
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at Baylor.edu<mailto:Colin_Pirtle1 at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor cross country is prepped to host the NCAA South Central Regional Friday at Cottonwood Creek Golf Course in Waco.

“We’re pretty healthy and happy and that’s half the battle,” head cross country coach David Barnett said. “I think people are peaking at the right time, people are running with a lot of confidence, workouts have been going well. So definitely, both teams are looking forward to it.”

The NCAA regional meet will begin with the women’s 6K starting at 10 a.m. CT, followed by the men’s 10K at 11 a.m. CT.

The women’s team enters the field of 31 ranked No. 11. Running for the Bears will be Lily Jacobs, Ellie Friesen, Taylor Whitfield, Celia Holmes, Chloe Gangnath, Mazie Larsen and Hayden Gold.

“Some of our women have an opportunity to be in the top 25, be all-regional,” said Barnett. “If the freshmen have a big day, the team could have a big day.”

The men’s team enters their field of 32 ranked No. 14. Running for Baylor will be Ryan Hodge, Ryan Day, Philip Roxas, Christopher Martinez, Kade Hulett and Alec Atteberry, with the seventh runner to be determined.

The men make the jump from 8,000 meters to 10K, but Barnett feels that they are ready for the challenge.

“It’s a pretty big jump, especially if you're coming from high school,” Barnett said. “Because then you're going from a 5K to a 10K. But, we really talk more about just competing, don't worry about the extra distance. We've done enough running in practice that's more than six miles, the guys are prepared for it. I think the men, especially, have done a really good job moving up in distance and competing at a high level.”

Admission to the meet is free, and spectators are encouraged to park in the Waco ISD stadium lot. Bear fans should take the limited opportunity to support the student-athletes on their home course.

“I think it's an advantage, because half the battle when you're going into bigger races is just lowering people's anxiety level, creating a sense of, this is home, we've done this a million times, it's another day in the office,” Barnett said. “It's a lot easier to feel like it's another day in the office if you've been there before. We’ve hosted this meet before, but it's been a few years (2013), so it's a good opportunity for us.”

Live results can be followed at  NCAA South Central Regional<http://results.deltatiming.com/xc/2021-ncaa-d1-xc-south-central-regional>.

For the latest news on the Baylor cross country team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorTrack.