Baylor Track & Field Punches 18 More Tickets to Nationals

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat May 29 23:16:49 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 29, 2021

Baylor Track & Field Punches 18 More Tickets to Nationals
Bears earned a total of 20 spots at the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Ore.

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Baylor track & field secured 18 additional spots at the 2021 NCAA Championships on the final day of the NCAA West Regional Preliminary Rounds Saturday at E.B. Cushing Stadium.

“It’s been a long season, but we really battled hard today,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “Both groups fought really hard. The guys were a little nicked up again, but I’m proud of how they fought. The ladies had a really impressive weekend. We made ourselves a much better national team, and that’s what you always hope for coming out of this so you have a better shot to do well at the NCAA meet. That’s the goal, and I think they accomplished that.”

Ackera Nugent punched three tickets to Eugene, advancing in the 100-meter hurdles, 100 meters and 4x100-meter relay. The freshman from Kingston, Jamaica, recorded the fourth-fastest U20 time ever in the 100-meter hurdles at 12.76, the top time of the meet. Her personal-best time is the fifth-best overall performance in school history.

Nugent came right back in the 100 meters, clocking in at 11.15 for the third-best time of the day to earn a spot at Nationals. It was the sixth-best 100 meters performance in school history, two days after she tied the school record. Nugent ran the second leg of the women’s 4x100-meter relay that registered a time of 44.29, the Bears’ best time of the season. Arria Minor, Sydney Washington and Mariah Ayers formed the other three legs of Baylor’s Nationals-bound 4x1.

“Ackera keeps stepping up when it counts,” Harbour said. “She did a great job today in both of those races, coming back with very short rest in the hurdles and 100 and still performing at a high level.

“The women’s 4x1 – we didn’t have a couple of great handoffs but we still managed to get it out,” Harbour said. “That was good for them.”

Alex Madlock, who qualified for the NCAA Championships in the long jump on Thursday, secured her second ticket to Oregon in the triple jump with the best wind-legal mark of her career at 44-2.75 (13.48m). The senior from Bangs, Texas, went from ranked 45th in the region to finishing seventh on Saturday.

“Alex stepping up big was huge,” Harbour said. “Coming in ranked No. 25 (long jump) and No. 45 (triple jump) and going up to the top seven in the triple jump, that’s amazing. I’m really proud for her. Coach (Stacey) Smith did a great job getting her back all the way. It’s been a battle for Alex all season, so I’m happy she was able to do what she did today.”

Aaliyah Miller broke the facility record in the 800 meters to win by over a second and punch her ticket to Eugene. The senior from McKinney, Texas, clocked in at 2:02.13 to give her the top three performances in school history.

“Aaliyah got the facility record and ran very well against some really good girls,” Harbour said. “I was really proud of her. She positioned herself well going forward now.”

Kamden Jackson got things started for the day by placing third in his 100 meters heat to earn his first-ever trip to Nationals. The freshman from Baker, La., recorded a time of 10.30 to punch his ticket.

“Kam had a great weekend, especially for a freshman,” Harbour said. “I’m proud of him.”

Howard Fields III wasn’t far behind in securing his spot, registering a time of 45.67 for the ninth-best time of the day in the 400 meters to advance to Oregon.

“Trey ran great,” Harbour said. “His hamstring was bothering him so we had to pull him out of the 4x4, but those guys stepped up and got it done. I was really proud of them.”

The men’s 4x400-meter relay team of Hasani Barr, Matthew Moorer, Ryan Croson and Dillon Bedell earned a spot at Nationals with a time of 3:06.06, and the women’s 4x400-meter relay team of Arria Minor, Kavia Francis, Aaliyah Miller and Mariah Ayers closed the meet with the ninth-best time in school history (3:30.92) to punch the Bears’ final tickets to Eugene.

“It was a good finish with the 4x4,” Harbour said. “I’m really proud of those ladies. They all had a long weekend, so it was a great way to cap off the meet.”

The 2021 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships are set for June 9-12 in Eugene, Ore. For continued updates on the Baylor track & field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>