Baylor MT’s Season Concludes in NCAA Singles & Doubles Semis

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Thu May 27 20:16:01 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 27, 2021

MT’s Season Concludes in NCAA Singles & Doubles Semis
Frantzen and Lah fall in rematch, Boitan bows out due to fatigue

ORLANDO, Fla. – The Baylor men’s tennis season came to an end on Thursday at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla. after both of its representatives in the NCAA Singles and Doubles Championships were eliminated.

On his eighth-consecutive day of competition, which included five three-set matches, No. 21 Adrian Boitan was physically unable to continue and forced to retire in the middle of the second set to No. 2 Daniel Rodrigues of South Carolina.

Boitan had dropped a narrow first set in a tiebreaker at 7-6 (7-1), then trailed by a break at 3-1 in the second before the fatigue set in.

The third-year sophomore out of Constanta, Romania, finished the 2021 campaign at 21-6 with 13 victories over ranked opponents. He became the fourth Bear in program history to reach the semifinals and first to do so since 2005.

In a rematch of the No. 1 doubles line in the NCAA team semifinals, No. 9 Constantin Frantzen/Sven Lah were unable to take revenge over No. 4 Pat Harper/Adam Walton of Tennessee, dropping a 7-5, 6-4 match to the Volunteers.

Frantzen, an All-American for the first time, finishes his five-year career as Baylor’s all-time leader with 112 career doubles wins. Lah, a two-time doubles All-American, tallied a 16-10 record this season alongside the Augsburg, Germany, native.

TOP QUOTES
Head Coach Michael Woodson
On reflecting on the 2021 season…
“I can’t say enough amazing things about what this program accomplished this year. It’s been an absolute pleasure to be a part of it. So much credit goes to the players for coming together, working hard and sacrificing so much to train and compete at the highest level. And to the staff surrounding these young men, they just did a phenomenal job helping these guys reach for their dreams and accomplish many of their goals. We had so many great successes this year and we’re adding four trophies to the Hurd trophy case. I just couldn’t be more proud of these guys, they deserve all the recognition. The future is bright for Baylor Tennis.”

Fifth-year senior Constantin Frantzen
On what his Baylor career means to him…
“I’m just thankful to have been a part of it and thankful that it happened. I’m sad it’s over now and that I can’t compete with the boys anymore. I was able to do amazing things with them, but at the end it’s more the friendships and relationships I’ve made here that mean the most. It’s hard to put into words what these last five years mean to me.”

Fourth-year junior Sven Lah
On the excitement for next season…
“I haven’t thought about it much yet, it’s going to come with the next few days. Seeing Coni enjoying his last season, I think I can learn from him to enjoy every moment a little bit earlier, to give my best during practice and prepare as hard as I can for the season. Just go out there and compete hard every night, hopefully by May next year we’ll be in a similar spot as we were this season.”

For the latest news on the Baylor men’s tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)