Baylor Track & Field: Nugent Named Big 12’s Top Freshman

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Thu May 20 15:04:59 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 20, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Nugent Named Big 12’s Top Freshman
Jamaican hurdler is fourth Baylor woman named freshman of the year outdoors

WACO, Texas – Ackera Nugent was named Big 12 Women's Outstanding Freshman of the Year as the conference office announced its 2021 outdoor track & field honors Thursday afternoon.

“This is a special honor for her,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “She’s had an incredible season, and it’s another great honor for her. It’s such a great conference, and to be outstanding freshman speaks volumes to who she is and what she’s been able to do this year. We’re really proud for her.”

Nugent is the fourth Baylor athlete to be named women’s outstanding freshman of the year outdoors and the first since Aaliyah Miller in 2018. Nugent was also the 2021 Big 12 Indoor Track & Field Women’s Outstanding Freshman of the Year, making her the second person in school history to sweep the two freshman awards (Nichole Jones, 2007).

“You will never always be motivated, so you must learn to be disciplined,” Nugent said. “I’m pleased that I was chosen to be freshman of the year once more, which shows that there is consistency in my performance and I’m grateful for this opportunity.”

Nugent made it to the podium three times at this past weekend’s Big 12 Outdoor Championship, finishing as the runner-up in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.07 and taking seventh in the 100 meters with a time of 11.50 while running the second leg on the women’s 4x100-meter relay that took second with a time of 44.82.

The freshman from Kingston, Jamaica, ran her season-best mark of 12.87 in the 100-meter hurdles at the LSU Alumni Gold meet to rank third in the Big 12, 11th in the NCAA, and 22nd in the world. Nugent was named Big 12 Outdoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week on May 12 after pulling off the double win at the Aggie Invitational, recording times of 12.95 in the 100m hurdles and 11.21 in the 100 meters. She is the reigning indoor National Champion in the 60-meter hurdles.

Nugent has been officially announced as a qualifier for the 2021 NCAA West Preliminary Championships, which will take place May 26-29 in College Station, Texas. The meet will be televised on the SEC Network+, and live results can be found at NCAA Preliminary West Round<https://dt8v5llb2dwhs.cloudfront.net/OutdoorRegionals/2021/West/index.htm>.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

2021 Big 12 Outdoor Track & Field Awards
Men’s Performer of the Year: Wesley Kiptoo, Iowa State**
Women’s Performer of the Year: Kynnedy Flannel, Texas
Men’s Outstanding Freshman of the Year: Yusuf Bizimana, Texas
Women’s Outstanding Freshman of the Year: Ackera Nugent, Baylor
Men’s Coach of the Year: Edrick Floréal, Texas**
Women’s Coach of the Year: Edrick Floréal, Texas

** Unanimous Selection
Coaches were not permitted to vote for their own student-athletes.

Baylor Big 12 Outdoor Track & Field Women's Outstanding Freshmen of the Year
2021: Ackera Nugent
2018: Aaliyah Miller
2007: Nichole Jones
1997: Cecilia Jeverstam

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>