No. 1 Baylor Men's Tennis Breezes Past Islanders to Advance to NCAA Second Round

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat May 8 17:52:02 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 8, 2021

No. 1 MT Breezes Past Islanders to Advance to NCAA Second Round
Bears will face No. 37 Oregon in Sunday’s second-round match at 2 p.m. in Waco

WACO, Texas – No. 1-ranked and second-seeded Baylor men’s tennis cruised past Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 4-0, at the Hurd Tennis Center on Saturday to advance to the NCAA Second Round.

BU picked up its 30th win of the season for the first time since 2005, while also improving to 32-1 all-time in postseason play that’s held in Waco.

No. 75 Matias Soto/Nick Stachowiak got it started with a blistering 6-0 victory on court two over Pascal Lorieul/Nathan Schwartz, and No. 9 Constantin Frantzen/Sven Lah followed suit with a 6-2 win at the top spot to seal the opening tally for the Bears.

Moving into singles, it was more quick work as Spencer Furman put another point on the board at the No. 6 spot, winning 6-1, 6-1 over Guillermo Castaneda. Charlie Broom then picked up his 100th-career singles victory on court five, 6-2, 6-3, over Borja Delgado to inch BU closer.

No. 21 Adrian Boitan was the clincher, collecting a 6-3, 6-1 win on court one against Kyohei Yamanaka.

Two other Bears were leading by a set when play was halted in Lah and Stachowiak, while No. 11 Soto had split his first two frames.

Baylor advances to face No. 37 Oregon in Sunday’s NCAA Second Round at 2 p.m. CT at the Hurd Tennis Center.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor won its 30th match for the first time in a single-season since 2005.
• BU improved to 60-21 all-time in NCAA Championship play and 32-1 when hosting in Waco.
• The Bears are 34-4 all-time in 4-0 postseason matches.
• BU picked up its 17th sweep of the season and 13th at home.
• Baylor improved to 8-2 all-time as the No. 2 overall seed in the NCAA Championship.
• The Bears are now 26-8 in the doubles point this year and own a remarkable 25-1 record in matches when winning the opening tally.
• Baylor boasts a combined 145-30 (.829) mark in singles action this spring and a collective 66-23 (.742) record in doubles.
• Charlie Broom earned his 100th-career singles victory with a straight-set victory over Borja Delgado.
• Spencer Furman won his 10th singles match in a row.

STAT OF THE MATCH
100 – Charlie Broom earned his 100th-career singles victory with a straight-set victory over Borja Delgado.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Michael Woodson
On today’s match…
“It’s always good to advance in the NCAA tournament. Everybody in this tournament is worthy of being there and Corpus had a phenomenal year. There are guys on their lineup that haven’t lost all season, so credit to Coach Moore and his staff both on the men’s and women’s side. They do a great job. It was a tough test today, and extremely windy which is right up their alley being right up the coast, so I knew we would get the best version of them. It made it really hard on us at several position, and I thought that was really good for us moving forward in the tournament to get that experience, to be uncomfortable and pushed in some spots. Always good to get through, I know there are guys on this team that haven’t won in the NCAA tournament before, so it’s good to get the jitters out.”

On what to expect from Oregon…
“I got to watch their match today. Even though they don’t play in these types of conditions very often, I was really impressed at their fitness level. I thought they were the fitter team today [against Alabama]. I thought that they competed really well and together. Definitely a group of guys that are pulling hard for each other and working together, and I felt like that was the difference at the end of their match. They seemed to band together a little better in the big moments and trusted their games to make it hard on Alabama. They’re going to test us at every single spot tomorrow, so we will need to be ready to go.”

Fourth-year junior Sven Lah
On getting momentum…
“Yeah, tough conditions out there. I think me and Coni [Frantzen] struggled a little bit and picked it up towards the middle of the set. It’s always good to win the doubles point, especially here at home [in] the first round [because] it’s a little bit easier in singles.”

Third-year sophomore Adrian Boitan
On advancing in the tournament…
“We definitely feel good. We had a great season and now we just want win the big ‘ship. That’s our goal.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (30-4) advances to face No. 37 Oregon (17-6) in Sunday’s NCAA Second Round at 2 p.m. CT at the Hurd Tennis Center.

For the latest news on the Baylor men’s tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)