No. 7 Baylor WT Drops First Conference Match to No. 2 Texas, 7-1

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Sun Mar 28 17:13:33 CDT 2021

No. 7 Baylor WT Drops First Conference Match to No. 2 Texas, 7-1
Bears fall to Longhorns for third time in 2021
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
AUSTIN, Texas – For the third time this season, the No. 2-ranked Texas women’s tennis team defeated No. 7 Baylor, 7-0, Sunday at the Texas Tennis Center. The loss for Baylor marked the first of the Big 12 season while the Longhorns improved to 16-1 overall and 5-0 in conference play.

The Bears fell to 17-3 and 4-1 in league play. Baylor dropped two previous matchups in non-conference play to Texas, and although the score was a sweep, the Bears took the No.1 doubles match and three singles matches were decided in three sets.

Mel Krywoj and Angelina Shakhraichuk – the No. 40-ranked doubles pair in the nation – started the afternoon with an upset of No. 10-ranked Lulu Sun and Kylie Collins, 6-2. However, Texas took the No. 3 and No. 2 doubles matches to take the doubles point.

Krywoj, Alicia Herrero Linana and Paula Barañano all took their Longhorns counterparts to three sets for Baylor, but all fell short.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Mel Krywoj and Angelina Shakrhaichuk upset No. 10 Lulu Sun and Kylie Collins of Texas, 6-2 on court one in doubles.
• Livia Kraus’ impressive undefeated start to the season came to an end Sunday with her 15-match winning streak snapped on the No. 5 court in two sets.

THEY SAID IT
Baylor Head Coach Joey Scrivano on the loss to Texas…
“Texas was just better than us. They handle the stress of the match way better than us. We really need to look in the mirror and accept that we didn’t give our best today mentally. We lost the match between the ears. Once we accept that, we can move forward and get back to the development process.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor has a lengthy break before returning to play at K-State, April 9.

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D723F5.AE2774A0]<http://baylorbears.com/>