No. 7 Baylor WT Sweeps Houston on Senior Day, 7-0

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 26 18:17:23 CDT 2021

No. 7 Baylor WT Sweeps Houston on Senior Day, 7-0
Bears honor seniors in final regular-season home match with win over Cougars
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Three of Baylor’s four seniors picked up wins on both the singles and doubles courts Friday on Senior Day as the No. 7-ranked Bears (17-2) downed Houston (10-4), 7-0, at the Hurd Tennis Center.

Jessica Hinojosa, Angelina Shakhraichuk and Kristina Sorokolet took wins on the No. 1, No. 3 and No. 6 courts, respectively, and the fourth senior, Livia Kraus, rested.

The Bears swept doubles play before all six players in the lineup boasted wins for Baylor in singles. Alicia Herrero Linana, Paula Barañano and Audrey Boch-Collins also had victories in singles.

Baylor evened the all-time series with Houston 11-11, and it marked the seventh-straight win for the Bears over the Cougars.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Angelina Shakhraichuk won her 75th career singles match with a two-set win on court No. 3
• Kristina Sorokolet teamed up with freshman Audrey Boch-Collins for a 6-3 win on the No. 2 doubles court for her 40th career doubles victory at Baylor.

• Baylor’s win streak reached six matches.

THEY SAID IT
Baylor senior Angelina Shakhraichuk on the senior day win…
“I don’t have enough words to describe what I feel right now. I am just so grateful to be a part of this special team and tennis program [at] Baylor. I just want to say thank you so much to my coaches and my teammates for the best five years of my life. I will forever cherish this moment and memories. We are not done yet, so we will be back to work.”

Senior Jessica Hinojosa on the senior day win…
“It was a really good match. It was a very special day for me. Spending five years at Baylor is such a good achievement, it was very special. Our teammates did a really good job celebrating us. My family was here too, so that was really good to see them cheering for me and supporting me.”

Baylor Head Coach Joey Scrivano on today’s match…
“[I’m] just really pleased with the way the team came out and competed. They found that optimum level of feel for the game, played loose and free and it was really good.”

Scirvano on the impact of our seniors…
“They have been absolutely incredible. Those young ladies have been the backbone of the team and really helped us to get to where we are right now. The position we’re in as a team is all because of them. I am just so proud of them. We have a lot of tennis left to play and we’re going to continue to be grateful for them and grateful for this season we have, and really make the most of it!”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor takes on No. 2 Texas for the third time this season, this time in conference play. The Bears’ only two losses of the season have come to the Longhorns. Match time is Noon in Austin at the Texas Tennis Center.

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D7226C.443B7A80]<http://baylorbears.com/>