No. 11 Baylor WT Continues Winning Ways with 6-1 Defeat of OKST

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Sun Mar 21 19:21:15 CDT 2021

No. 11 Baylor WT Continues Winning Ways with 6-1 Defeat of OKST
Bears begin conference play, 4-0
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor snapped a five-match losing skid to Oklahoma State and the No. 11-ranked Bears remained undefeated in Big 12 Conference play, cruising to a 6-1 victory over the Cowgirls, Sunday at the Hurd Tennis Center.

Mel Krywoj and Angelina Shakhraicuk highlighted taking the doubles point for Baylor by beating No. 34-ranked Bunyawi Thamchaiwat and Ayumi Miyamoto, 6-1 on the No. 1 court. The Bears’ (16-2, 4-0) Livia Kraus and Alicia Herrero Linana ensured the 1-0 advantage with their 6-4 win on court two.

In singles, Mel Krywoj picked up her third ranked-victory of the season when she downed the No. 24-ranked Thamchaiwat, 7-6 (7-4), 6-1. That win came after Shakhraichuk sealed the match with a two-set win on court No. 4 for Baylor’s fourth point. Alicia Herrero Linana picked up a ranked win over no. 105 Alana Wolfberg, 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 and Paula Barañano’s win No. 6 was the 30th of her career.

Baylor’s win over Oklahoma State (8-9, 0-2) was its first since April 13, 2015, and the Bears improved to 21-9 all-time vs. the Cowgirls.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Livia Kraus improved to 15-0 on the season and improved to 24-3 overall.

• Barañano’s win on No. 6 was the 30th singles victory of her Baylor career.

• Angelina’s match-clinching win on No. 4 improved the senior to 12-4 on the season.

THEY SAID IT
Baylor Head Coach Joey Scrivano on today’s match…
“Really proud of the players. They’re shifting their perspective and approach to the games and have just improved so much. It’s showing on the court and I’m just really proud of them. We just need to recover and enjoy this weekend. The players deserve to take a second to reflect and enjoy it, but ultimately we need to get back to the work and the job at hand to get ready for some tough matches coming up.”

Baylor junior Paula Barañano on today’s win…
“I’m so proud happy, [and] happy for the team. We fight every point. I am proud of my team and we are looking for the next one now.”

Alicia Herrero-Linana on her singles turnaround…
“Today we were ready to fight really hard after a really good victory the other day against Oklahoma. I think we were mentally ready to fight. I was looking around to the other girls, and I could see that everyone was fighting so much. I was 1-6 down and 0-2, and I thought ‘no, my teammates are fighting so hard, so I have to keep going.’ Finally, I was lucky and I won. I am so, so proud of my teammates and we are ready to keep fighting.”

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D71E87.5BF24020]<http://baylorbears.com/>