No. 11 Baylor WT Battles Back for 4-3 Win over No. 32 Oklahoma

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 19 18:45:08 CDT 2021

No. 11 Baylor WT Battles Back for 4-3 Win over No. 32 Oklahoma
Final three singles matches go three sets, all in favor of Baylor for comeback victory
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – The No. 11-ranked Baylor Women’s Tennis team had to use every ounce of mojo available in a thrilling comeback victory over No. 32 Oklahoma Friday at the Hurd Tennis Center. The Bears remained undefeated in Big 12 play with a 4-3 win and needed the final three matches in their favor; Baylor delivered with three nail-biting, three-set victories to secure the match.

After falling in doubles and trailing 3-1, Baylor’s Mel Krywoj finished off the Sooners’ Carmen Corley 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 on court No.1 to keep the Bears alive, 3-2. Jessica Hinojosa evened the match at three apiece with a three-set win that saw her face match point four times to Ivana Corley. However, Hinojosa pulled out a 6-2, 0-6, 7-6 (7-4) win to knot the score.

Then, Livia Kraus, who had been down 3-6, 0-3, turned her match around to secure a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Oklahoma’s Marcelina Podlinska, keeping Baylor’s Big 12 record flawless. In addition, Kraus continued her unblemished spring, improving to 14-0 in dual-match play and 23-3 overall. It was the senior’s second 3-all match-clinching victory of the season and the 75th win in her Baylor singles career.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Livia Kraus improved to 14-0 on the season and improved to 23-3 overall.

• Kraus won her 75th career match as a Baylor Bear and won her second 3-all-match clincher of the season (vs. Washington State).

• Jessica Hinojosa was four-match points down and trailed in the third set 5-2 before coming back to even the score at three.

• Paula Barañano improved to 7-1 on the season with Baylor’s first point of the match in a two-set win on court No. 6.

THEY SAID IT

Baylor Head Coach Joey Scrivano on the comeback win over Oklahoma …
“I’m incredibly proud of the players. They did all the work out there. They managed the stress, nerves and excitement of a match like that really well today. They deserve all the credit in the world. They did an incredible job with the mental game. That’s how you end up winning matches like that.”

Baylor senior Livia Kraus on fighting back …
“It was very tough in the beginning. I was down 3-6 and 0-3. I quickly glanced around and saw that all the other girls were fighting, and I was super close. I then decided for myself, ‘Okay, I’m going to step it up. I still have a chance to win this match.’ I wanted to make my teammates proud, I wanted to make my coaches proud, and I wanted to make myself proud. I knew I still had more power and more energy in me, so I decided to step it up and give it all I had for the team. We worked really hard this week. We really wanted this win.”

Baylor senior Jessica Hinojosa on coming back …
“I’m super proud of everyone. We competed really hard today. I was down in my match and faced many match points, but I kept fighting and kept thinking, ‘win every point and stay in the match.’ I’m super proud of everyone. I’m glad we were able to come back and get the win.”

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D71CEF.FB726A60]<http://baylorbears.com/>