No. 12 Baylor WT Kicks Off Conference Play with 7-0 Sweep of Iowa State

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 12 17:30:14 CST 2021

No. 12 Baylor WT Kicks Off Conference Play with 7-0 Sweep of Iowa State
Bears improve to 13-2 on the season, 1-0 in Big 12 play
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN

WACO, Texas – The No. 12-ranked Baylor women’s tennis team started off the Big 12 Conference season on the right foot with a 7-0 victory over No. 42 Iowa State (8-3, 0-1) Friday at the Hurd Tennis Center.

After securing the doubles point, Baylor (13-2, 1-0) swept singles play with Alicia Herrero Linana’s two-set victory on No. 1 proving to be the match-sealer. Audrey Boch Collins and Paula Barñano each took wins on the No. 6 and No. 5 courts, respectively. After Herrero Linana guaranteed Baylor’s win, the teams played through with Jessica Hinojosa and Angelina Shakhraichuk’s wins on No. 2 and No. 3 courts, respectively, giving Baylor a 6-0 lead.

With an 11-match winning streak on the line, Livia Kraus closed the afternoon with a comeback, three-set win over Iowa State’s Miska Kadleckova, 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (8) to improve to 12-0 on the season.

Baylor is now 18-7 all-time in Big 12 openers and improved to 26-1 all-time vs. Iowa State.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Livia Kraus improved to 12-0 on the singles court and is 21-3 overall on the season.
• Kraus’ win was the 50th of her dual-match career.
• Audrey Boch-Collins is 8-2 in her last 10 matches on the singles court.
• Angelina Shakhraichuk’s singles win was the 10th of the season in dual-match play for the senior.

THEY SAID IT
Baylor senior Livia Kraus on starting Big 12 play with a win…
“We were all very excited to come out and compete today, especially since it was our first Big 12 match since the COVID-19 pandemic started. We were a little nervous, but we were also very excited. We wanted to give our best, fight very hard and leave it all out on the court today. I saw all the girls on all courts leave it all out there. We are very proud of ourselves. Now we are going to get ready tomorrow for West Virginia on Sunday. Hopefully we can continue playing the way we are.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor continues Big 12 play Sunday vs. West Virginia at 11:30 a.m. at the Hurd Tennis Center.

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D71765.5C814370]<http://baylorbears.com/>