No. 15 Baylor WT Takes Seventh-Straight Match with 4-3 win vs. TCU

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Thu Mar 4 16:16:28 CST 2021

No. 15 Baylor WT Takes Seventh-Straight Match with 4-3 win vs. TCU
Bears beat Horned Frogs in non-conference matchup
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN

WACO, Texas – The bottom half of the singles lineup took wins and the No. 15-ranked Baylor women’s tennis team took the doubles point up front to beat TCU Thursday in a non-conference matchup at the Hurd Tennis Center, 4-3.

The No. 2 and No. 3 doubles court pairs of Audrey Boch-Collins and Angelina Shakhraichuk & Kristina Sorokolet and Jessica Hinojosa took 6-1 and 6-0 wins, respectively, to give Baylor an early 1-0 advantage.

Then, swiftly, Baylor took two-set matches on the No. 6 and No. 6 courts with Paula Barañano and Shakhraichuk propelling the Bears to a 3-0 start. After Mel Krywoj fell to Mercedes Aristegui, 6-2-, 6-1 on the No. 1 court, Livia Kraus remained undefeated on the season with a 6-3, 6-2 win to seal the victory for the Bears. Kraus improved to 9-0 in dual-match play this season.

Baylor’s (11-1) only blemish of the season came Jan. 24 in a 4-0 loss to No. 3-ranked Texas. Since then, it has been seven-straight wins for the Bears. TCU fell to 5-5 on the season, and Baylor improved its series lead to 21-17. Baylor and TCU will face each other as a part of the Big 12 Conference schedule April 14 in Fort Worth at 3 p.m.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Livia Kraus improved to 9-0 on the singles court and is 18-3 overall on the season.
• Kraus’ win was the 70th of her Baylor career.
• Paula Barañano’s 11th-straight win in singles dating back to last season gave the junior her 25th career singles win.
• Audrey Boch-Collins and Angelina Shakhraichuk won their fourth-straight match as a pair and improved to 6-2 in dual-match play.
• Shakhraichuk’s singles win was her sixth-straight, and she is tied for the team lead with nine dual-match wins.

THEY SAID IT

Baylor head coach Joey Scrivano on Thursday’s win over TCU …
“I really like our focus in doubles, we came out with really good purpose. We started strong in the doubles, especially at the two and three spots, and I think that set the tone for at least most of singles.”

Scrivano on an improved doubles game this season …
“We have the athletes that can execute what is really important in doubles. We serve well, we return well. We have a bunch of players that are just good athletes so you can really play a little more offensive style of doubles.”

Scrivano on the bottom half of the singles lineup today …
“They did an amazing job, I felt like they were really present. They were playing with great focus, great energy. They dug down deep and found their best tennis. There’s not a lot of difference between playing really well and dominating a position and struggling and maybe losing in a breaker. This match is going to provide us a lot of opportunities to reflect and get better for the next one.”

Baylor senior Livia Kraus on a competitive match with TCU …
“We know that TCU came out here to fight and they wanted to leave it all here on the court. In the end, that’s what we want if we want to get better. We need to have tight matches, good matches, and that’s exactly what we got today.”

Kraus on starting strong in doubles …
“Winning the doubles point and having the 1-0 up on the scoreboard, it always gives us a good feeling. But in the end, we try not to make it a big thing because we try to get our focus on singles, we try not to focus on the results or the score.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor will get a chance to avenge its only loss of the season Saturday when it plays host to No. 2 Texas at 1 p.m.

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D71111.BAFE6770]<http://baylorbears.com/>