No. 20 Baylor WT Drops SMU at Home, 6-1

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Sun Jan 31 16:53:11 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 31, 2021

No. 20 Baylor WT Drops SMU at Home, 6-1
Bears win second-straight in Waco
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN

WACO, Texas – The No. 20-ranked Baylor women’s tennis team improved to 6-1 on the season with a 6-1 win over SMU Sunday at the Hurd Tennis Center.

Mel Krywoj and Alicia Herrero Linana set the tone by picking up a win over the Mustangs’ ranked pair of Jackie Nylander and Chandler Carter, 6-1. Carter and Nylander were ranked No. 52 in the nation, and it marks the second time this season that the Baylor pair knocked off a ranked opponent.

With doubles tied at a match apiece, Livia Kraus and Kristina Sorokolet sealed the doubles point for the Bears with a 6-4 win on the No. 3 court.

The Bears won the first four matches in singles with Livia Kraus taking the match-sealing win from the No. 3 spot over Claudia Bartolome, 6-2, 6-2.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Alicia Herrero Linana and Mel Krywoj picked up their second win over a ranked doubles opponent this season on the No. 1 court.
• Herrero Linana closed out the match by recovering from a 7-1 deficit in the third-set tiebreaker, and defeated Hadley Doyle 7-6, 5-7 (11-9). It was the 20th win of Herrero Linana’s career in singles.

THEY SAID IT

Baylor head coach Joey Scrivano on Sunday’s performance …
“We have to keep improving. Our doubles are making positive strides, but there are definitely some things we need to sure up. This week in practice is going to be huge. We need to continue to improve and make the slightest improvements with our athleticism and technique. I really like the direction we’re going.”

Baylor junior Alicia Herrero Linana on fighting back to win …
“I knew my opponent was going to be tough. I tried to follow the system, be consistent and be coachable. The coaches were supporting me a lot. I looked around at the other girls and they were doing fine. We really did a good job as a team. I think that really helped me through my tough match.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor takes on Texas A&M in College Station Feb. 7 at 1 p.m.

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D5070F.1E7C3CA0]<http://baylorbears.com/>