No. 9 Baylor Equestrian Drops Narrow Opener at No. 7 Texas A&M

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Jan 30 17:19:51 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 30, 2021

No. 9 EQ Drops Narrow Opener at No. 7 Texas A&M
Bears fall after raw score equivalency tiebreaker used to decide the meet

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – No. 9 Baylor equestrian (0-1) opened the 2021 season with a narrow defeat to No. 7 Texas A&M (2-2) Saturday at the Hildebrand Equine Complex in College Station.

After tying 9-9 at the conclusion of the meet, the judges were forced to implement the raw score equivalency tiebreaker, which determined that TAMU had edged BU, 1579.75-1568.75.

The meet began with Fences where the Bears and Aggies tied 2-2. Caroline Fuller scored an 84 on Chapman, the highest score of the morning and earned the MOP nod. In Horsemanship, the Aggies bested the Bears 4-1 to bring the overall score to 6-3 at the half.

Following the break, BU took charge and closed the gap with a 4-1 win in Flat and another 2-2 draw in Reining, where Madaline Callaway took home MOP honors after scoring a 74. However, it proved to be not enough by the slimmest of margins, as the Aggies claimed victory via the tiebreaker.

NOTABLES
• Baylor is now 2-2 in season openers under fourth-year head coach Casie Maxwell.
• BU is now 7-15 all-time against Texas A&M.
• BU won Flat by a score of 4-1.
• The Bears claimed a 6-3 advantage in the Jumping Seat events.
• Caroline Fuller and Madaline Callaway picked up MOP honors for the Bears in Fences and Reining.
• Fuller and Maddie Vorhies each collected two points for Baylor.
• Fuller led the Bears with two scores of 84.
• Freshmen Shelby Clausen and Emma Fletcher made their collegiate debuts.
• Fletcher picked up her first-career point with an 80-78 win in Flat.

STAT OF THE MEET
9 – The Bears won nine points and tied with the Aggies in the overall meet score.

TOP QUOTE
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet…
“I’m very proud of how this team came out and performed in the first meet. Texas A&M is a tough place to play and our team put down some strong, confident rides. It’s tough to lose such a close competition, but we’ll focus on how strong our performance was and clean up the areas we need to improve.”

WHAT’S NEXT
A full year and one day since their last meeting, the Bears (0-1) will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 6, to open up Big 12 play against conference rival TCU (2-0). The meet is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. CT. The Horned Frogs (2-0) won the last meeting over BU 12-8 in Fort Worth.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Equestrian), Twitter (@BaylorEQ) and Instagram (@BaylorEquestrian).

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)