Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot, Nugent Shine at Aggie Invitational

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Jan 23 21:55:19 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 23, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot, Nugent Shine at Aggie Invitational
Lightfoot sets facility record in pole vault; Nugent cruises to win in 60-meter hurdles.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – KC Lightfoot set a meet and facility record in the pole vault, and Ackera Nugent blazed to the No. 2 time in the country in the women’s 60-meter hurdles to highlight the performances for Baylor track & field Saturday at the Aggie Invitational.

“Overall it was a solid second meet,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “We had several outstanding performances. We’re getting a little bit healthier each week, so that’s a big thing. We brought some guys back that didn’t run the first meet, just making sure they were healthy. So that was a good sign.”

Lightfoot took center stage at the end of the morning session at the Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium on the campus of Texas A&M University, entering at 17-9 (5.41m) after the rest of the field had finished. The Lee’s Summit, Mo., native did not disappoint, clearing four consecutive bars to break his own facility and meet record. He missed his first attempt at 19-4.25 (5.90m), but made it on his second attempt to solidify his spot in the meet record books. Lightfoot attempted to raise his collegiate record to 19-6.25 (5.95m), but came up short on three attempts.

“KC again was very consistent,” Harbour said. “He was jumping big bars again.”

Nugent, who was second in the prelims, saved her best for last in the women’s 60-meter hurdles. The freshman from Kingston, Jamaica, qualified for the finals with a then-season best 8.22 before running away from the field in the finals with a time of 8.08 that ranks No. 2 in the NCAA and Big 12. Nugent won the event by .18 seconds.

“I thought Ackera was definitely the highlight,” Harbour said. “That’s the number two time in the nation right now, so that was outstanding for her.”

It was the second 1-2 finish in as many weeks for Baylor’s women’s pole vault duo of Tuesdi Tidwell and Alex Kubicek. Tidwell won her second-consecutive meet with a bar of 13-6.5 (4.13m), while Kubicek was the runner-up at 12-10.75 (3.93m).

The Bears took the top three spots in the men’s 400 meters as Chris DuPree took home the win in 47.59, followed by Matthew Moorer in second (47.83) and Dillon Bedell in third (48.42).

“Chris got himself another (win) as a freshman,” Harbour said. “That was outstanding.”

Cole Hardan and Mikayla Deshazer both had strong showings for Baylor in the throws. Hardan finished as the runner-up in the men’s weight throw with a season-best toss of 60-5.25 (18.42m), and placed fifth in the men’s shot put with a throw of 51-4.25 (15.65m). Deshazer was a double runner-up, recording a personal record in the women’s weight throw (57-7.5, 17.56m) and registering a mark of 47-7.75 (14.52m) in the women’s shot put.

“I thought the throws crew did a good job,” Harbour said. “Nice one for Mikayla and Cole in the weight throw. Both of them did an outstanding job.”

The Bears recorded nine additional runner-up finishes: Celia Holmes in the women’s mile (5:00.48), Lily Williams in the women’s 400 meters (55.04), TT Sanders in the women’s 300 meters (39.18), Hasani Barr in the men’s 300 meters (33.39), Aaliyah Miller in the women’s 600 meters (1:28.31), Alec Atteberry in the men’s 800 meters (1:55.05), Arria Minor in the women’s 200 meters (23.53), Lily Jacobs in the women’s 3,000 meters (9:54.32) and the men’s 4x400-meter relay (3:08.38).

“Overall just a good, solid day,” Harbour said. “We ran some odd distances with the 300 and 600 in there today. We got some work done, and we’ll be ready to go again. Short week, short turnaround getting ready to go back to Lubbock.”

Baylor is right back in action Friday and Saturday (Jan. 29-30) at the Texas Tech Invitational in Lubbock, Texas.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>