No. 23 Baylor WT Downs No. 20 Arizona State in Austin

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Sat Jan 23 13:26:10 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 23, 2021

No. 23 Baylor WT Downs No. 20 Arizona State in Austin
Krywoj wins match clincher vs. No. 37 singles player in country
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN

AUSTIN, Texas – Mel Krywoj took the match-clinching victory over No. 37-ranked Ilze Hattingh to help No. 23 Baylor (4-0) down No. 20 Arizona State (1-1), 4-2, Saturday at the Texas Tennis Center. The Bears won four singles matches to take their first victory over a Top 25 team since April 27, 2018.

The match was a part of an eight-site 32-team ITA Kickoff Weekend tournament, and Baylor advances to play No. 3 Texas Sunday to determine who moves to the eight-team championship in Stillwater, Okla. beginning Feb. 5.

Krywoj and Alicia Herrero Linana also teamed up to knock of the No. 50-ranked doubles team in the country, 6-0. Baylor’s pair swept Hattingh and Lauryn John-Baptiste 6-0 to start the morning. However, the Sun Devils rebounded to take the doubles point by winning matches on the No. 2 and No. 3 courts.

In singles play, Arizona State jumped out to a 2-0 lead with Giulia Morlet taking a win over Kristina Sorokolet on court No. 4. However, Livia Kraus won in two sets, Alicia Herrero Linana beat No. 115 Sammi Hampton in straight sets on No. 2, Angelina Shakhraichuk took a 3-set win on No. 5 and Krwoj’s heroics at the No. 1 spot clinched the win for Baylor

HIGHLIGHTS

• Mel Krywoj’s win over Hattingh was her first-career win over a ranked opponent.

• Alicia Herrero Linana’s win over Hampton was her second-career win over a ranked opponent.

• Prior to Saturday’s win over No. 20 Arizona State, Baylor’s last win over a Top 25 team came over No. 18 Kansas, April 27, 2018, in the semifinals of the Big 12 Championships.

THEY SAID IT

Baylor head coach Joey Scrivano on the win …

“The ladies really dug deep and found their focus, especially when we were down after the doubles and in first sets of singles. I’m proud of the way we responded and we are getting comfortable getting out of our comfort zone. These matches are difficult and margins are small. At the end of the day, mental toughness is usually the difference.”

Scrivano on keeping the match in perspective …

“Our team is understanding our system better each day and we’re playing with more confidence because of this. Ultimately, we need to keep investing in the big picture and not get caught up with short terms results.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor and No. 3 Texas will square off Sunday at Noon in Austin to determine who advances to the ITA Indoor National Championships beginning Feb. 5 in Stillwater, Okla.

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D5070F.1E7C3CA0]<http://baylorbears.com/>