Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Sets Indoor Pole Vault Collegiate Record

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Jan 16 20:45:56 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 16, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Sets Indoor Pole Vault Collegiate Record
Lightfoot cleared 19-5.75 (5.94m) to break Chris Nilsen’s record of 5.93 set a year ago.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

LUBBOCK, Texas – KC Lightfoot set the indoor collegiate record in the pole vault to highlight a strong season opener for Baylor Track & Field across the board Saturday at the Sports Performance Center on the campus of Texas Tech.

“That was a great first meet,“ head coach Todd Harbour said. “Thanks to the Lord for allowing us this opportunity to compete, and a big thanks also to our training and medical staff for all of the work they have done on our behalf. We are so very grateful.”

Lightfoot cleared 19-5.75 (5.94m) on his first try to break Chris Nilsen’s record of 5.93 set a year ago at Nebraska. Lightfoot took three attempts at 19-8.25 (6.00m), but fell just short. The junior from Lee’s Summit, Mo., raised his own school record by 4.25 inches and now has the top nine marks on Baylor’s all-time indoor performances list.

“It was a good day overall,” Lightfoot said. “Some things fell into place and the collegiate record stayed up there. There are plenty of things to work on, and I believe a 6-meter bar will be coming sooner rather than later.”

“What an incredible start to KC’s season,” Harbour said. “There’s more to come, but what a way to start the indoor season. Very proud for him.”

Not to be overlooked, freshman Ben Conacher showed up in a big way to finish as the pole vault runner-up at 17-4.25 (5.29m).

“Ben had a really good finish to his day,” Harbour said. “That was a big personal best for him.”

In a thrilling finish to the women’s 4x400-meter relay, freshman Lily Williams overcame a .44 second deficit to run down Texas and give the Bears’ team of Williams, Arria Minor, Sydney Washington and Aaliyah Miller the victory with a meet-record 3:35.94. It was Baylor’s best time in an opener since the Big 12 Championship-winning team opened with 3:34.0 in 2017.

“All of those ladies did a super job putting Lily in position to battle for the win there at the end,” Harbour said. “That’s a lot to put a freshman in that position right off the bat against the University of Texas, which always has a great 4x4. She’s tough and she’s a competitor. Arria, Sydney and Aaliyah did a great job of putting her in that spot. She got it done at the end. That was exciting.”

The Baylor men’s 4x400-meter relay team of Dillon Bedell, Hasani Barr, Chris DuPree and Matthew Moorer made it a clean sweep for the Bears as they cruised to victory in a time of 3:08.87.

“Our men, what can you say, they did another great job,” Harbour said. “All of those guys ran really well. We had to sub in a couple there at the end, but they did a super job. We’re proud of them.”

In the women’s 1,000 meters, Aaliyah Miller surpassed Nichole Jones’ school record that had stood for 14 years, finishing in 2:44.66 - also a meet record.

“Aaliyah’s school record in the 1,000 was big for her,” Harbour said. “Nichole Jones, that’s an old record. Nichole was a three-time Big 12 Champion, so that’s a big record. Aaliyah was all by herself, basically just a time trial. She wanted to go try to take a shot at that, and she did it.”

Tuesdi Tidwell set the facility record in the women’s pole vault with a mark of 14-5.5 (4.41m) to take home the victory, followed by teammate Alex Kubicek in second at 13-7.75 (4.16m).

“The 1-2 finish in the pole vault was great,” Harbour said. “That was a big showing for Alex. That was about a foot personal best for her. That was a good opener for Tuesdi. She’s been battling a little bit, so that was really neat to see for her.”

Earlier in the day, Williams took home her first career victory with a win in the women’s 600 yards, posting a time of 1:22.59 to edge teammate Morgan Stewart (1:22.60).

“I thought Lily and Morgan had a great race,” Harbour said. “Lily clipped Morgan there at the end. Those guys did a great job.”

Freshman Chris DuPree also took home his first-career win in the men’s 600 yards, posting a time of 1:11.46. Jayson Baldridge (1:12.94) and Nicholi Brown (1:14.02) followed in second and third, respectively.

“Same thing for Chris and Jayson in the 600,” Harbour said. “I thought that was an outstanding showing by both of those guys.”

Ackera Nugent also had a successful debut, blazing to victory in the women’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.22. Kennedy Bailey followed as the runner-up with a time of 8.33.

“Ackera had a nice debut in the hurdles,” Harbour said. “I thought Kennedy and her both did a good job today.”

Arria Minor was victorious in her Baylor debut, as well, getting the win in the women’s 200 meters with a time of 23.39.

“Arria’s debut in the 200, that was a nice opener for her,” Harbour said.

Sydney Washington finished as the runner-up in the women’s 60 meters with a time of 7:38, followed by Demitra Carter in third at 7:58.

“Sydney in the 60, that was a big day for her,” Harbour said. “She looked great.”

In the women’s weight throw, Samone Turner placed fourth with a personal-best mark of 51-10 (15.80m).

“That’s a nice day for Samone,” Harbour said,” It was a nice PB for her.”

The distance crew recorded nine top-four finishes on the day.

Celia Holmes (5:10.65) finished as the runner-up in the women’s mile, followed by Lily Jacobs in third (5:12.25) and Mazie Larsen in fourth (5:15.94).

Jacobs took third in the women’s 3,000 meters (10:19.62), followed by Holmes in fourth (10:31.40).

In the men’s 1,000 meters, Alec Atteberry finished third with a time of 2:31.66 to edge teammate Carson Yarbrough in fourth (2:37.40).

Ryan Day placed third in the men’s mile at 4:23.20, followed by Connor Laktasic in fourth at 4:24.97.

Baylor is right back in action next Saturday (Jan. 23) at the Aggie Invitational in College Station, Texas.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>