Kraus’ 3-Set Thriller Powers No. 15 Baylor WT to Comeback Win Over Washington St.

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 20 19:25:17 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 20, 2021

Kraus’ 3-Set Thriller Powers No. 15 Baylor WT to Comeback Win Over Washington St.
Bears use four singles court wins to improve to 9-1
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN

SEATTLE, Wash. – Livia Kraus was tied 3-3 with Washington State’s Pang Jittakoat in the third set of the deciding match Saturday, before taking the final three games to help No. 15-ranked Baylor edge Washington State, 4-3, at UW’s Nordstrom Tennis Center.

Kraus fell in set one, 6-4, before rebounding to win the final two sets, 6-3. The senior remained undefeated in singles this spring, improving to 7-0 while the Bears won their fifth-straight match to improve to 9-1 on the season.

Baylor dropped the doubles point, falling in two of three matches, setting up a dramatic decision on the singles court. Mel Krywoj won on the No. 1 court over the Cougars’ No. 55-ranked Michaela Bayerlova, 7-5, 6-4 to give Baylor a 3-2 lead. However, after freshman Audrey Boch-Collins fell in three sets on the No.5 court, the match was tied at three and led to Kraus’ heroics. Baylor improved to 2-1 all-time vs. Washington State.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Livia Kraus improved to 7-0 on the singles court this season with a match-clinching win; it was the first match-clinching win of her college career.
• Mel Krywoj’s win over Bayerlova was her second ranked win of the season in singles, and she improved to 7-1 on the year, all on the No. 1 singles court.
• Alicia Herrero Linana remained undefeated on the season with a two-set win on court No. 3.
• Angie Shakhraichuk’s two-set victory on court No. 6 improved her to 7-1 on the season.
• Boch-Collins and Shakhraichuk took a win on the No. 3 doubles court over Jittakoat/Kumhom, 7-6 (7-5).
• Baylor is 46-10 (.821) in singles play this spring.

THEY SAID IT

Baylor senior Livia Kraus on her first-career match-clinching victory …
“As a senior, I feel like that’s even more special. I was so nervous, being down in the first set. I just tried to keep calm and [stay] motivated and I knew that I could pull it off. When I noticed it was 3-all, I tried to pull myself together and leave everything out there for the girls and the team. I wanted that win for the whole team.”

Baylor head coach Joey Scrivano on gritting out a road win …
“I’m proud of the way we responded today. We had a brutal day of travel yesterday, and we could have lost this match on the tarmac of DFW [Airport] yesterday. Ultimately, we are doing the tiny things better, and it’s been gradually transforming the identity of our team. I’m proud of these young ladies and the way they are maturing on and off the court. Credit to Washington State. They competed very hard today, are a well-coached team and always fight when we play them.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor takes on Washington in Seattle Sunday at 3 p.m. CT.

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D707BE.1E5AD950]<http://baylorbears.com/>