Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot, Miller Reach Milestones in Final Big 12 Tune-Up

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 13 20:14:38 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 13, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot, Miller Reach Milestones in Final Big 12 Tune-Up
Lightfoot is the first collegian in history to clear six meters in the pole vault.

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

LUBBOCK, Texas – KC Lightfoot cleared the coveted six-meter bar in the pole vault, and Aaliyah Miller broke her own school record in the 800 meters on a historic final day Saturday at both the Texas Tech Shootout and Iowa State Classic.

“There’s really nothing more to say than it was magical, for sure.” Lightfoot said. “I’ve worked my whole life for that bar, and to finally get it takes a huge relief off my shoulders. I’m going to be on cloud nine for a while, definitely. There’s still some more in the tank, though. I’m just not sure for what height, anymore. I guess the American record is the next big goal.”

Lightfoot entered at 17-9.25 (5.42m) and cleared six bars on the day at the Sports Performance Center. But none bigger than the six-meter bar that he not-so-secretly has been chasing all season. After connecting on his first try at 19-4.25 (5.90m), Lightfoot skipped all the way to the 19-8.25 (6.00m) bar. After misses on his first two tries, the bar stayed up on the third try as Lightfoot let out a resounding “Let’s go!” accompanied by a backflip. The junior from Lee’s Summit, Mo., set the collegiate record for the third time, and is the first collegian in history to clear six meters. Lightfoot took three tries at breaking the American record at 19-9 (6.02m), but came up just short.

“What can you say can about KC,” associate head coach Michael Ford said. “Another school record, another indoor collegiate record, and to clear 6 meters finally was awesome. I know KC and Coach Brandon Richards have been training hard to reach 6 meters and beyond. Great job by KC and Brandon.”

Up in Ames, Miller made a statement of her own as she cruised to victory in the women’s 800 meters with a personal-best time of 2:02.35, breaking her own school record and taking over the No. 2 spot in the NCAA. The senior from McKinney, Texas, obtained the Olympic qualifying standard and holds a three-second lead in the Big 12 in the 800.

“Today was special,” Miller said. “Bettering my school record and moving up to No. 2 in the NCAA is a pretty good day in my books. There’s no better feeling than to see the hard work in my training come to light. This race was fun, and I couldn’t have done it without my training partner and former Baylor Bear, Olicia Williams. I’m looking forward to getting some more training in before the start of championship season. I’m excited to see what’s in store for Big 12s and Nationals.”

“It was a very nice race for Aaliyah,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “She executed a nice race with (former Baylor Bear) Olicia (Williams) setting the early pace. It was an Olympic qualifier, also. Ryan (Day) also got a PB in the 3K. He ran well.”

In the 3,000 meters at the Iowa State Classic, Day clocked a personal-best time of 8:21.39 to place sixth and just miss out of the top-10 performers list in Baylor history.

The men’s 4x400-meter relay team continued to come into form, clocking a season-best time of 3:07.50 to take home the victory at the Texas Tech Shootout. The group of Chris DuPree, Hasani Barr, Dillon Bedell and Howard Fields III ranks third in the Big 12 and 15th in the NCAA.

In the women’s 4x400-meter relay, the Bears’ squad of Kavia Francis, Arria Minor, Lily Williams and TT Sanders ran a near season-best time of 3:35.83 to take home runner-up honors. Baylor ranks second in the Big 12 and 16th in the NCAA in the women’s 4x4.

“The men and women 4x4 ran great,” Ford said. “The men’s time was the best of the year, and the women ran very close to our season’s best.”

Minor took home the victory in the women’s 200 meters with a season-best time of 23.36, followed by Francis in second with a personal-best 23.65. Mariah Ayers placed fourth with a time of 23.91. Minor now ranks third in the Big 12, while Francis is seventh and Ayers is ninth.

“I’m very pleased with the ladies in the 200m,” Ford said. “We went 1-2-4 with two personal bests, Arria and Kavia. I’m happy to see Mariah running after missing the last two meets.”

In the women’s 600 yards, Morgan Stewart placed fourth with a season-best time of 1:22.48, the sixth-best time in the Big 12.

Kade Hulett and Mikayla Deshazer both had personal bests in the men’s mile and women’s shot put, respectively. Hulett clocked a time of 4:25.72 to place seventh, while Deshazer recorded a mark of 48-6.25 (14.79m) to finish eighth.

“Mikayla had a solid day in the shot put,” Ford said. “She set a personal best of 14.79. I know Coach Chak (Jeff Chakouian) was happy with her performance today.”

Next up for Baylor is the Big 12 Indoor Championship Feb. 26-27 in Lubbock.

“It was a great way to close out the meet with KC and the relays performances,” Ford said. “Now we can rest up, get back to training and prepare for the Big 12 Championship back in Lubbock at the end of February.”

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>