Baylor Track & Field: Miller, Lightfoot Named Big 12 Athletes of the Week

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Wed Feb 3 12:58:31 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 3, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Miller, Lightfoot Named Big 12 Athletes of the Week
Miller and Lightfoot are the only multiple winners in Baylor indoor history.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas - Aaliyah Miller earned her second-career Big 12 Women’s Indoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week honor, and KC Lightfoot set the league record with his sixth-career Big 12 Men’s Indoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week award, the conference office announced Wednesday.

Miller cruised to victory in the women's 800 meters at the Texas Tech Invitational & Multis in an adjusted time of 2:04.96, good for third place in the NCAA. The senior from McKinney, Texas, won the race by over three seconds and currently ranks first in the Big 12 by nearly three seconds. Miller also ran on the Bears’ Big-12 leading 4x400-meter relay team that ran a season-best 3:36.23@ to place second at the Texas Tech Invitational. She also holds the top spot in the Big 12 in the 600 yards (1:18.85@) and the 1,000 meters (2:44.19@). Miller holds the Baylor indoor school records in the 800 meters (2:02.89, set in 2017) and the 1,000 meters (2:44.19@, set earlier this year).

“It’s an honor to be selected by the Big 12 Conference, especially on National Girls & Women in Sports Day,” Miller said. “It’s very special to be a part of the list of talented Baylor women who came before me with this honor. They have paved the way for us, and it’s not going to be the last honor given to the Baylor women’s team. I’m excited for what the future holds.”

“That’s a big deal, a special honor for her, for sure,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “She’s an outstanding young lady, and it’s very well-deserved. The fact that she’s leading the 600, 800, and 1,000 right now in the Big 12 is a pretty special deal, too.”

For the second time in three weeks, Lightfoot set the indoor collegiate record in the pole vault at the Texas Tech Invitational & Multis. On his second attempt at 19-6.25 (5.95m), Lightfoot soared over the bar to eclipse his own mark set just two weeks ago in the same building. The junior from Lee’s Summit, Mo., is now No. 2 in the world and remains atop the NCAA and Big 12. With his latest jump, Lightfoot now owns the top 11 jumps in Baylor indoor history.

“I’m always honored to receive this award,” Lightfoot said. “This is my sixth time and it never gets old. I’m excited that the season is going well, but I know there are some things to work on to keep that 6-meter bar up there. Hopefully, it happens sooner rather than later.”

“The honors just keep coming in for KC,” Harbour said. “They are very-well deserved. He’s a super young man and he’s worked so hard. I’m proud of him. Anything that comes his way, we’re proud of him. He’s very humble and staying focused on what he needs to do, but these are nice honors for him, for sure.”

This is the sixth weekly accolade of Lightfoot's career (Jan. 20, 2021; Feb. 19, 2020; Jan. 29, 2020; Jan. 22, 2020; Feb. 20, 2019), breaking the Big 12 record for most in an indoor career (Ryan Crouser, Texas, 2012-16).

Miller joins Lightfoot as the only multiple winners in Baylor indoor history, and they are just the second duo in school history to earn athlete of the week honors in the same week (Quentin Iglehart-Summers/Lauren Hagans - Jan. 15, 2008). Baylor now has 22 combined men's and women’s indoor track & field athlete of the week awards in program history and 47 overall conference athlete of the week honors since 2002.

Next up for Miller, Lightfoot and the Bears will be the Texas Tech Shootout on Feb. 12-13 and the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 13.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

*@ = adjusted time for NCAA rankings

All-Time Baylor Big 12 Indoor Athletes of the Week
Feb. 3, 2021 – Aaliyah Miller, Sr.
Feb. 3, 2021 – KC Lightfoot, Jr.
Jan. 20, 2021 – KC Lightfoot, Jr.
Feb. 19, 2020 – KC Lightfoot, So.
Jan. 29, 2020 – KC Lightfoot, So.
Jan. 22, 2020 – KC Lightfoot, So.
Feb. 20, 2019 – KC Lightfoot, Fr.
Jan. 20, 2019 – Wil London, Sr.
Feb. 21, 2018 – Maxwell Willis, So.
Jan. 24, 2017 - Aaliyah Miller, Fr.
Jan. 27, 2016 – George Caddick, Jr.
Feb. 25, 2015 – Distance Medley Relay Team (Mariah Kelly, Kiana Hawn, Olicia Williams, Maggie Montoya)
Jan. 29, 2014 – Felix Obi, So.
Jan. 29, 2013 – Tiffani McReynolds, Jr.
Jan. 18, 2011 – Skylar White, So.
Jan. 27, 2009 – Tiffany Townsend, So.
Jan. 15, 2008 – Quentin Iglehart-Summers, Jr.
Jan. 15, 2008 – Lauren Hagans, Sr.
Jan. 16, 2007 – Reggie Witherspoon, Sr.
Jan. 24, 2006 – Jacob Norman, Fr.
Feb. 16, 2004 – Darold Williamson, Jr.
Jan. 26, 2004 – Jeremy Wariner, So.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>