Baylor Track & Field: Nugent, Fields III Post Top-10 Marks at LSU

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 24 20:59:03 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 24, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Nugent, Fields III Post Top-10 Marks at LSU
Mikayla Deshazer recorded her first-career outdoor victory.

WACO, Texas – Ackera Nugent and Howard Fields III made jumps towards the top of the NCAA lists to highlight a busy Saturday for Baylor Track & Field at the LSU Alumni Gold in Baton Rouge, La.

“Overall it was a good meet,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “We competed hard. I think we came out of it fairly healthy, and got some good work in. We got some PBs and national marks. It wasn’t perfect, but I think we got some good things accomplished.”

Nugent posted a career-best time of 12.87 to win heat two and place third in the 100-meter hurdles. The freshman from Kingston, Jamaica, will see a significant climb from the No. 31 spot in the NCAA that she held this past week as only five athletes had run faster than 12.87 heading into the weekend.

“Ackera’s mark in the 100-meter hurdles was big,” Harbour said. “That was a good time for her this early right now. She hasn’t had that many opportunities to run the 100 hurdles, and she was battling a little bit of an injury from last week, so that was a big one for her.”

Howard Fields III posted a personal-best time of 45.37 in the 400 meters to place third. That time would have held the No. 9 spot nationally heading into this weekend.

“Trey’s quarter was big,” Harbour said. “He executed a really good race. That was a fast quarter, and he was on the outside. He ran a good race and did an excellent job, and it was nice to see him come away with a PB today.”

Mikayla Deshazer got the day started in a big way with her first-career outdoor victory, taking the discus title with a throw of 174-02.25 (53.09m).

“Mikayla bounced back in a big way today,” Harbour said. “That was her first win, and it’s a big deal for her after her having a rough home meet last week. She beat some really good throwers. I think it’s a great example for all of our athletes. You’re going to have some great meets and you’re going to have some that aren’t so good. That’s just the nature of our sport.”

Kamden Jackson had another strong day, recording a personal-best in the 200 meters (20.65) to place fourth. The sophomore from Zachary, La., also took sixth in the 100 meters with a time of 10.41.

“Kam had a big day in the 100 and 200,” Harbour said. “That was a PB for him in the 200.”

In the women’s 200 meters, Kavia Francis took fourth place (23.44) while Arria Minor was right behind in sixth (23.63).

“I thought the ladies’ 200 was solid,” Harbour said.

Two under-the-radar performances came from Jayson Baldrige and Elijah Gifford in the men’s 400-meter hurdles as they clocked in at 51.02 and 52.61, respectively.

“Both of those guys have been out for a while,” Harbour said. “To see them come back today, that made my heart really glad to see both of those guys get back on the track and compete. Both of them had solid times. It was a good deal for them.”

Cole Hardan had his best day of the season with a throw of 60-08.50 (18.50m) to take third in the men’s shot put, and Tuesdi Tidwell finished as the runner-up in the women’s pole vault with a mark of 13-11.75 (4.26m).

To close out the day, the women’s 4x400-meter relay placed sixth with a time of 3:35.65, while the men’s 4x4 took third with a time of 3:06.73.

Next up for the Bears is the Texas A&M Alumni Muster Saturday (May 1) in College Station, Texas.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>