No. 8 Baylor WT Headed to Big 12 Title Match After 4-0 Win Over ISU

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 24 16:41:45 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 24, 2021

No. 8 Baylor WT Headed to Big 12 Title Match After 4-0 Win Over ISU
Bears cruise in semifinals, headed to championship for first time since 2015
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The No. 8-ranked Baylor women’s tennis team blanked No. 36-ranked and No. 6 seed Iowa State, 4-0, Saturday in the Big 12 Championship semifinals. The victory has Baylor (23-3) playing for its first Big 12 Tournament title since 2015.

The Bears will face No. 2-ranked and No. 1 seed Texas (24-1) for the fourth time this season in the championship match Sunday at 1 p.m. Baylor’s only three losses this season have all come at the hands of the Longhorns, and the Bears will try to play spoiler and take home the championship crown.

Saturday, Baylor won doubles matches on court No. 3 and No. 1 consecutively to begin the match up 1-0. Kris Sorokolet and Alicia Herrero Linana picked up wins on the No. 5 and No. 2 courts, respectively, in straight sets to give the Bears a 3-0 lead. Then, freshman Audrey Boch-Collins’ 15th win of the season on the singles court was the match clincher on No. 6.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Baylor returns to the Big 12 Championship title match for the first time since 2015. The Bears are eight-time winners of the event.

• Audrey Boch-Collins’ win clinched the match and was her 15th win of the season in singles.

THEY SAID IT
Head Coach Joey Scrivano on playing Iowa State again….
“It’s a really competitive match any time we play them.  We played them before COVID, earlier in the year and obviously today, and it’s never easy. Tennis is just a hard sport. There’s no easy matches ever.”

On the key in singles play…
“Ultimately, our team just responded the right way to all of these different situations. In doubles, there was ebbs and flows and that’s just the way it goes, it’s not easy. Our team responded very well to Iowa State’s challenge and that’s why we’re moving on.”

Baylor senior Kristina Sorokolet on getting to the title match …
“After all these years we worked on this altogether. We went through so many things on this team with the girls that are all still here. I think now all our hard work from the past three years, finally pays out there and we’re out there fighting and enjoying the moment.”

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D73928.B5E94E00]<http://baylorbears.com/>