Baylor VB’s Pressley and Harrison Named AVCA All-Americans

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Wed Apr 21 10:09:07 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 21, 2021

VB’s Pressley and Harrison Named AVCA All-Americans
Pressley picks up second-career First-Team nod, Harrison recognized as Honorable Mention

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Baylor volleyball senior Yossiana Pressley and redshirt sophomore Lauren Harrison were recognized as AVCA Division I All-Americans, as announced by the organization Wednesday morning.

Pressley earned a spot on the first team for the second time in her illustrious career, while Harrison picked up honorable mention distinction.

Pressley is the program’s first four-time All-American, as she received honorable mention status in 2017 and 2018 in addition to her 2019 and now 2020 first-team honors. Harrison is a first-time All-America honoree. This year’s awards bring the Baylor total to 13 all-time selections.

Since Taylor Barnes and Anna Breyfogle were named honorable mention in 2009, BU has had 11 All-American selections in the last five seasons under head coach Ryan McGuyre.

“Team success is the culmination of good team effort,” said McGuyre. “I know both Yossi and Lauren are thankful for the investment their teammates have made and it has allowed them to both shine as outstanding attackers.”

The reigning AVCA National Player of the Year, Pressley was a unanimous All-Big 12 First Team selection and first-team Southwest All-Region choice after leading the Big 12 with 488 kills, 4.69 kills per set and 533 total points. The senior OH led the nation in kills, as well as being the NCAA Division I active career leader in kills (1,942), kills per set (4.59) and total attacks (4,791).

This season, Pressley surpassed Katie Staiger to become Baylor’s all-time leader in career kills in the rally-scoring era. Pressley was a three-time Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week award winner and tallied her first-career Defensive Player of the Week accolade in breaking the conference record with 19 career weekly honors. She is also a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award.

“Yossi did it all this past season. She continued her offensive dominance but brought great defense and improved all areas of her game,” said McGuyre. “Her performance in several matches this season were like nothing I’d ever seen before. She is a true competitor, skilled athlete and servant leader.”

In her first season with the Bears, Harrison notched 305 total kills, 3.18 per set, while eclipsing double figures in kills 18 times. She ranked fourth in the Big 12 with 333.5 total points and garnered unanimous All-Big 12 first-team honors as well as a spot on the Southwest All-Region First Team.

“Lauren has been a reliable and consistent offensive threat all year long,” said McGuyre. “She is explosive, and few can hit as heavy as her. She is not done improving, and we expect big things from her in the future. I am glad she can be honored in such a special way in her first season at Baylor.”

The Bears finished the season at 20-7 and reached the NCAA Regional Semifinals for the third time in program history and second-consecutive season. The 2020-21 NCAA Championship National Semifinals and Final will be held this weekend in Omaha, Neb., on April 22 and 24.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

BAYLOR AVCA ALL-AMERICANS
2009 – Taylor Barnes (honorable mention), Anna Breyfogle (honorable mention)
2016 – Katie Staiger (second team)
2017 – Hannah Sedwick (honorable mention), Yossiana Pressley (honorable mention), Shelly Stafford (honorable mention)
2018 – Shelly Stafford (second team), Yossiana Pressley (honorable mention)
2019 – Hannah Sedwick (first team), Yossiana Pressley (first team), Shelly Stafford (first team)
2020 – Yossiana Pressley (first team), Lauren Harrison (honorable mention)

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)