No. 10 Baylor WT Finishes as Big 12 Runner Up with 4-0 Win at Texas Tech

Robarts, Kyle Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 18 17:13:31 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 18, 2021

No. 10 Baylor WT Finishes as Big 12 Runner Up with 4-0 Win at Texas Tech
Bears close regular season with 8-1 league mark
For more information contact: Kyle Robarts, 254-405-9492, Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu<mailto:Kyle_Robarts at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
LUBBOCK, Texas – The No. 10-ranked Baylor tennis team locked in a second-place finish in the Big 12 regular season standings Sunday by beating Texas Tech on the road, 4-0, at the McLeod Tennis Center in the regular-season finale.

Baylor improved to 21-3 overall and 8-1 in Big 12 competition while the Red Raiders fell to 15-7 overall and 6-3 in league play. The Bears finished just one match behind Texas in the standings with the Longhorns running the table with a 9-0 finish.

The Bears took the doubles point with wins on the No. 1 and No. 3 courts to being the match up, 1-0. Kris Sorokolet, Paula Barañano and Mel Krywoj all picked up singles wins on the No. 6, No. 5 and No. 1 courts, respectively.

Baylor improved to 28-16 all-time vs. the Red Raiders.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Kris Sorokolet won the 60th match of her career Sunday with her win on No. 6.

• Mel Krywoj’s win on the No. 1 court Sunday was the 25th career singles win of her career.

STAT OF THE MATCH

.713 – Baylor finished the regular season with a .713 winning percentage in singles play, compiling a 97-39 record.

THEY SAID IT

Head Coach Joey Scrivano on wrapping up a successful regular season …
“I’m proud of the way the ladies put themselves on the line today. They made the choice to compete with confidence and get out of their comfort zone. This team keeps making steps forward, and it’s exciting to watch them grow. They deserve so much credit for a remarkable regular season.”

Sophomore Paula Barañano on closing out the season and looking towards the Big 12 Tournament …
“We had an amazing season. I think we grew as a team, we had an amazing culture, but now we are preparing for the Big 12 tournament in Waco. We are so happy about [hosting], we are going to do our best and fight like always.”

Senior Kristina Sorokolet on the win over Texas Tech …
“I think all of us were fighting hard and our focus, our intensity and looseness was at a high level, so I think we were able to show our best tennis today.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will compete and host in the 2021 Big 12 Championships in Waco with the first match expected to be played Friday.

www.BaylorBears.com

Kyle Robarts | Associate Director, Athletics Communications (WBB, WTEN)

[cid:image001.png at 01D73476.27F85390]<http://baylorbears.com/>