Frantzen Breaks School Record in No. 3 Baylor MT’s 7-0 Win

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Tue Apr 13 21:42:25 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 13, 2021

Frantzen Breaks School Record in No. 3 MT’s 7-0 Win
Bears defeat Midwestern State for 10th-consecutive win

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis fifth-year senior Constantin Frantzen broke the school record for career doubles victories with his 105th Tuesday night against Midwestern State at the Hurd Tennis Center.

The Bears (26-3) swept a 7-0 contest over the Mustangs for their 10th-consecutive victory, marking the team’s longest win streak since 2014.

To start out the night, Frantzen teamed up with Nick Stachowiak at No. 1 doubles as the pair sought out to each make history. However, it was Finn Bass/Alex Garcia who got off the court first with a 6-0 shutout over Angel Palacios/Quentin Scharfenberg.

Then, the record-breaking match was won, as Frantzen/Stachowiak took a 6-1 decision against Alexandre Crepy/Alex Martinez Roca. Frantzen surpassed Benjamin Becker’s previous all-time best mark of 104 career doubles victories and Stachowiak notched the 100th doubles win of his career.

Adrian Boitan/Ryan Dickerson followed it up with a 6-0 win against Brice Bradshaw/Ben Westwick leading into singles play.

Garcia was the first one off in singles, collecting a 6-1, 6-1 win on court five against Jean Muniz. Sebastian Nothhaft made it 3-0 Bears with a 6-2, 6-2 win on six over Alberto Diaz, then the captain clinched it on court three by defeating Westwick 6-3, 6-2.

Rounding out the matches, it was Sven Lah who tallied a 6-2, 6-3 victory in the top spot over Martinez Roca, followed by Dickerson’s win on court two, a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Palacios. Then, Bass put the exclamation mark on the victory with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Crepy on court four.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor improved to 26-3 on the season, it’s best mark through 29 matches since 2007.
• BU has now won 10 matches in a row, it’s longest streak since 2014.
• The Bears are now 23-6 in the doubles point this season, including a 22-1 record in matches when winning the opening tally.
• BU is now a combined 129-22 in singles play and 59-19 in doubles dual matches.
• Fifth-year senior Constantin Frantzen broke Baylor’s all-time record for career doubles victories with his 105th-career win, surpassing Benjamin Becker’s previous program best.
• Fifth-year senior Nick Stachowiak collected his 100th-career doubles win.

STAT OF THE MATCH
105 – Constantin Frantzen collected his 105th-career doubles victory, setting a new Baylor record.

TOP QUOTES
Interim head coach Michael Woodson
On tonight’s match…
“I continue to be impressed with how well we’re playing doubles. I think we’re really gelling as a team and playing with great discipline and belief in each other and ourselves. It’s really carrying over to the match court. And then in singles, those guys pushed us. They’re a solid Division II team and it’s always good to be tested by opponents who we don’t get to see all the time. I was really impressed with the way we continued to compete hard anywhere, at any time, against anybody.”

On Constantin Frantzen breaking the record for most career doubles wins…
“It was really cool, because we all knew it was a possibility today. Him and Nick [Stachowiak] were just lights out. It was so cool that they were together to reach those milestones. For Coni, he and I started here at the same time and to see him not just grow as a player, but grow as a person, as a leader, as the captain of this team, I just can’t think of anybody more deserving. What he means to Baylor men’s tennis is incredible.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 3 Baylor (26-3, 3-0) welcomes No. 7 Texas (17-4, 2-1) to Waco for a 6 p.m. match on Thursday, April 15, at the Hurd Tennis Center. Charlie Broom, Ryan Dickerson, Constantin Frantzen, Spencer Furman and Nick Stachowiak will all be honored for Senior Day.

Baylor men’s tennis will also host its 2021 Giving Day Challenge on Wednesday, April 14. Thanks to the generosity of several anonymous supporters, interim head coach Michael Woodson has challenged the Baylor Family to reach 300 individual donations. Gifts of any size will be matched with an additional gift of $50 in the hopes of reaching the program’s goal of $15,000.

For the latest news on the Baylor men’s tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)