Baylor Women’s Golf Dominates at Schooner Fall Classic

Kaye, David David_Kaye at baylor.edu
Mon Sep 28 21:23:32 CDT 2020

Team trophy photo and complete results and statistics attached.

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 28, 2020

Baylor Women’s Golf Dominates at Schooner Fall Classic
Bears post 31-stroke victory, Kaur claims medalist honors
For more information contact: David Kaye, 254-709-5147, David_Kaye at baylor.edu<mailto:David_Kaye at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
NORMAN, Okla. – Baylor women’s golf turned in a dominating performance to claim a 31-stroke victory at the Schooner Fall Classic. The Bears set a school-record with a 54-hole total of 7-under-par 833, and Gurleen Kaur shot 5-under 205 to win her second-career medalist honor.

Baylor’s 31-stroke margin-of-victory was the largest in program history and larger than the gap between second-place TCU (+24) and 10th-place Texas (+47). The Bears cruised to victory in a field which included all nine Big 12 teams, North Texas and Arkansas State. BU shot even-par 280 in both the second and third rounds after carding 7-under 273 in Sunday’s first round.

All five Baylor players recorded top-25 individual finishes, including a trio of Bears with top-5 performances. Kaur shot 3-under 67 in the final round to finish tied for first place at 5-under 205, which was the third-best individual 54-hole score in program history.

Freshman Britta Snyder tied for third place at 1-under 209, while Elodie Chapelet took fifth place at even-par 210. Redshirt freshman Hannah Karg placed 10th at 3-over 213, and freshman Rosie Belsham tied for 21st place at 9-over 219, including the second-best BU score in the final round at 1-under 69.

TCU (+24) and Oklahoma (+24) tied for second place, followed by North Texas (+26), Texas Tech (+29), Kansas (+31), Oklahoma State (+32), Kansas State (+37), Iowa State (+38), Texas (+47) and Arkansas State (+59).

There were only four team rounds of even-par or better in the tournament, and the Bears accounted for three of those four scores, with TCU’s second round of even-par 280 the only other par-or-better round. Kaur was the only player in the 56-player field to shoot below-par in all three rounds. Baylor players carded 10 of 15 rounds at par or better.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor won its 12th team tournament title under head coach Jay Goble.
  *   Kaur’s medalist honor was the 13th individual title won by a Baylor player under Goble.
  *   Kaur’s 205 was the third-best individual 54-hole score in program history and the best since Hayley Davis set the school record at 200 in the 2015 NCAA San Antonio Regional.
  *   Snyder’s 209 tied the eighth-best 54-hole score in program history, while Chapelet’s 210 tied for 13th-best individual score.
  *   Baylor led the field in par-3 scoring (-11, 2.85) and ranked second in both par-4 scoring (+24, 4.16) and par-5 scoring (-7, 4.84).
  *   Baylor’s 47 birdies were 10 more than any other team in the field, and the Bears also led the tournament with 175 pars.
  *   Kaur and Chapelet tied for the tournament lead in par-3 scoring at 5-under 2.67, while Karg tied for fifth at 2-under 2.87.
  *   Kaur tied for the tournament lead in par-4 scoring at even-par 4.00, and Snyder tied for third at 2-over 4.07.
  *   Snyder tied for the tournament lead in par-5 scoring at 5-under 4.44 and tied for the tournament lead with 13 birdies across 54 holes.
  *   Kaur ranked second in the field with 40 pars, and Karg was third with 39 pars.
  *   Snyder made one of three eagles in the tournament to close her second round on the 522-yard, par-5 ninth hole.
  *   Baylor’s best previous finish in four prior runs at the Schooner Fall Classic was fourth place in the 2019 event.

STAT OF THE DAY
833 – Baylor’s 54-hole total of 833 broke the school record for 54-hole team total by six strokes. BU’s previous record was 839 in the 2018 Schooner Fall Classic.

TOP QUOTE
“Gurleen finished one shot out of the lead last year, so for her to get it done today was amazing,” Goble said. “I can feel her feeding off of the competition on our team, and I think she has big things coming this year. Everyone played well for us. For freshmen Britta and Rosie to come out and have solid rounds right away, I think that’s just a preview of our bright future. They’re already fantastic players, and I’m looking forward to watching what they can achieve. Hannah player her best tournament as a Bear, and I believe her short game has the potential to be one of the best in college golf. I’m proud of her fighting for every score. Elodie is just a consistent golfer with the ability to put blinders on and play her own game, and she was solid as always this week.”

WHAT'S NEXT

Baylor returns to action in less than two weeks at the Betsy Rawls Invitational, which runs Oct. 10-11 at University of Texas Golf Club. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

--

David Kaye | Assistant AD for Communications