No. 2 Baylor Volleyball Notches Ranked Win Over No. 15 WVU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Thu Oct 29 22:47:37 CDT 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 29, 2020

No. 2 VB Notches Ranked Win Over No. 15 WVU
Bears win 10th match in a row, set season-high with 14.5 blocks

WACO, Texas – No. 2 Baylor volleyball (10-1) notched its first ranked win of the year with a four-set victory over No. 15 West Virginia (5-4) 22-25, 25-20, 25-12, 25-16 Thursday evening at the Ferrell Center.

The Bears recorded a season-high 14.5 blocks in the contest, led by Laché Harper and Kara McGhee who each tallied seven. Yossiana Pressley and Marieke van der Mark provided the offense, as Pressley put down 14 kills and van der Mark collected 11 on a .375 clip to lead all players. With the win, BU extended its winning streak to 10 matches.

Things were neck-and-neck to start, with seven ties and three lead changes in the first. Baylor produced 5.5 blocks in the set, including a triple block by Harper, Pressley and van der Mark at 12-10. Lauren Harrison kept the Bears in front at 17-16 with a kill, but the Mountaineers made use of four total Baylor service errors to edge in front and take the set by three points.

WVU hung around in the second, staying within three points until another Harrison kill put the Bears ahead 13-9. After a Pressley smash evened the score at 18-18, BU pulled away thanks in part to a string of Mountaineers errors. The Bears held WVU to a .098 hitting percentage in the set and continued to flex its muscles at the net with another trio of blocks.

Baylor got out to a 6-1 lead in the third behind three more Pressley kills and ultimately ran away with the set, hitting .308 as a team while holding WVU in the negative at -.120. Callie Williams spread the love as six Bears recorded a kill, including Hannah Sedwick who made her 2020 debut.

Again in the fourth, BU started fast with a 7-0 run to start. Shanel Bramschreiber produced a pair of aces in the stretch and Baylor never let go of the momentum, building off kills by Harrison at 11-5, Pressley at 17-8 and van der Mark at 22-12. A WVU service error capped things off and gave the Bears its first four-set victory of the season.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

HIGHLIGHTS
• This is BU’s first win over a ranked opponent this season.
• Baylor extended its winning streak to 10 matches, tied for the third-longest streak under sixth-year head coach Ryan McGuyre.
• With the victory, Baylor's home win streak increases to 23 matches, dating back to Nov. 16, 2018.
• BU held its opponent below a .170 attack percentage for the eighth time this season, as West Virginia hit just .055.
• It’s the fourth time the Bears have held their opponent to under a .100 efficiency.
• The Bears tallied a season-high 14.5 blocks as a team.
• This is the fourth time Baylor has recorded at least 10 blocks as a team this season.
• Redshirt-sophomore Emily Van Slate produced a career-high 14 digs and tallied her first-career kill.
• Senior Yossiana Pressley led the Bears in kills for the ninth time this season.
• Senior Hannah Sedwick made her 2020 debut, recording two kills and nine assists.
• Junior Shanel Bramschreiber posted 19 digs for the fourth time in 2020.

STAT OF THE MATCH
14.5 – Total number of blocks by the Bears, a season-best.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Ryan McGuyre
On tonight’s match…
“The defense showed up tonight, the blocking has still been coming around. West Virginia takes a lot of big, heavy swings. I thought Shanel [Bramschreiber]’s defense was great, and ‘Soup’ [Campbell Bowden] from the service line. We had Marieke [van der Mark] up there hitting a high clip and we definitely moved the ball around a lot too.”

On Hannah Sedwick making her season debut…
“I was really impressed with Hannah this week because it’s really the first time she had a green light to go do stuff. It was good, seeing her throw it down we’re like ‘oh, we kind of missed that, it looked so easy.’ I think just after watching the game, she’s looking really good.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (10-1) and West Virginia (5-4) will tangle again at the Ferrell Center on Friday at 5 p.m. CT. The match will be televised on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)
O: TBD | C: 254-265-1639

[cid:image001.png at 01D6AE45.7FA31920]<http://baylorbears.com/>