Baylor VB Handles TCU With 3-0 Sweep

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Oct 2 20:44:58 CDT 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 2, 2020

VB Handles TCU With 3-0 Sweep
Pressley, Harrison and van der Mark lead BU offense with double-digit kills

WACO, Texas – No. 2 Baylor volleyball (2-1) took care of TCU (0-1) with a 3-0 sweep Friday evening at the Ferrell Center, 25-19, 25-19, 25-12.

For the third-consecutive match, three Bears reached double-figures in kills, as Yossiana Pressley led the team with 14 on a .448 clip, Lauren Harrison added 12 and Marieke van der Mark went for 11.

The Bears got out to a hot start, as a kill by Harrison gave BU an 8-4 advantage in the first set. She found the floor again later in the set, recording kills in three out of four consecutive points, giving the Bears a 19-12 lead. A trio of kills between van der Mark and Pressley capped things off and gave the Bears the opening set victory.

In set two, Pressley notched a kill to put Baylor ahead 4-1, before TCU rallied back and kept things interesting. The Bears would pull away late as the reigning National Player of the Year found her rhythm, going for eight kills on 14 swings without an error.

Baylor took control in set three, jumping out to an early 5-2 lead behind a Pressley service ace. At 13-7, Shanel Bramschreiber began an eight-point service run and the Bears’ lead swelled to 21-7. Two more late kills from Harrison put the stamp on the match and gave BU its second victory of the season.

BU was helped by a strong back row all night, going for 33 digs including Bramschreiber’s 13. Campbell Bowden saw her first action of the season and contributed nicely in the passing game.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

HIGHLIGHTS
• With the victory, Baylor’s home win streak increases to 19 matches.
• The Bears extended their win streak to seven in matches against TCU.
• Baylor swept its second opponent of the season.
• Under sixth-year head coach Ryan McGuyre, the Bears are now 108-5 when leading their opponent in hitting efficiency.
• BU is 102-17 under McGuyre when leading its opponent in kills.
• Baylor had three players with double-digit kills for the third time this season.
• Five Bears hit above .400 individually (Pressley, Harrison, van der Mark, Williams, Harper).
• Shanel Bramschreiber led the Bears with 13 digs, her first double-digit outing of the year.
• Laché Harper recorded her first kill in a Baylor uniform.
• Campbell Bowden made her first collegiate start.

STAT OF THE MATCH
.400 – Baylor’s team attack percentage. Additionally, five Bears hit above .400 individually.

TOP QUOTE #1
Head coach Ryan McGuyre
On the win…
"I thought we got a little bit better as the match went on today. I really thought Shanel [Bramschreiber] did a great job for us, just with the digs and her leadership. She really took some ownership on the libero position and she solidified that in her actions and how she played. Campbell Bowden passed great, she passed really perfect for us. We’ve got a lot of things to work on, but we kept our errors down and that’s been a point of focus.”

TOP QUOTE #2
Senior Yossiana Pressley
On the passing game…
"With Shanel [Bramschreiber] digging well and Campbell [Bowden] passing well, it just helps Callie [Williams] out in making smart decisions. I feel like everybody helped us do well and it’s just a team effort that definitely went into our successful night.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor and TCU will meet again on Saturday at the Ferrell Center, with first serve set again for 5 p.m. The match will be streamed on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)
O: TBD | C: 254-265-1639

[cid:image001.png at 01D698FC.E3507610]<http://baylorbears.com/>