Baylor Track & Field: Men’s 4x4 Finishes as Runner-Up at Big 12s

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 29 20:56:45 CST 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 29, 2020

Baylor Track & Field: Men’s 4x4 Finishes as Runner-Up at Big 12s
Howard Fields III and Morgan Stewart both registered third-place finishes.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

AMES, Iowa – Baylor track & field finished as the runner-up in the men’s 4x400-meter relay, while Howard Fields III and Morgan Stewart both recorded third-place finishes to highlight the final day of the 2020 Big 12 Indoor Championship Saturday at the Lied Recreation-Athletic Facility on the campus of Iowa State University.

“Overall, we had a lot of athletes that stepped up and performed really well today,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “A bunch of them got after it and fought. It’s a tale of two teams. The men’s team squeezed about all we could squeeze out.”

The men’s 4x400-meter relay came down to the very end, with the Bears finishing second. Baylor’s group of Maxwell Willis, Matthew Moorer, Ryan Croson and Howard Fields III clocked a time of 3:07.05, just .15 away from victory.

“We didn’t have a perfect day, but that’s about what we were projected,” Harbour said. “We did about all we could do. The 4x4, that was a tough one right there at the end.”

Earlier in the day, Fields III took third in the men’s 400 meters with a time of 46.72 to score six points for the Bears.

Morgan Stewart recorded a third-place finish of her own, clocking a season-best time of 1:20.90 to put six points on the board in the women’s 600 yards.

In the women’s triple jump, Alex Madlock saved her best jump for her last attempt to take fourth with a mark of 42-3 ¼ (12.88m) and earn All-Big 12 honors.

Cole Hardan became the No. 2 all-time shot put performer at Baylor, taking fourth in the Big 12 with a throw of 58-2 (17.73m). His mark is the No. 5-best overall performance in indoor school history.

It was another personal-best day for Celia Holmes in the women’s mile as she recorded a time of 4:49.57 to finish in fifth place and achieve all-conference honors.

Kennedy Bailey also finished in fifth place to earn a spot on the podium, registering a time of 8.37 in the women’s 60-meter hurdles to put four points on the board.

Alyssa Miller (8th, women’s high jump), Elijah Morris (7th, men’s 60-meter hurdles), Jalen Seals (7th, men’s triple jump), Mariah Ayers (7th, women’s 60 meters), Sydney Washington (8th, women’s 60 meters/8th, women’s 200 meters), Isaiah Cunningham (7th, men’s 60 meters), Elijah Gifford (8th, men’s 600 yards), and Kamden Jackson (8th, men’s 200 meters) rounded out the all-conference performers for Baylor.

The Baylor men’s team finished seventh with 50 points, while the women’s team placed eighth with 34.33 points.

“The ladies, we’re better than that,” Harbour said. “We didn’t even come close to reaching our potential as a team. We had a few ladies that stepped up - Alex battled hard, Morgan in the 600 and Celia in the mile. I thought was huge.”

The Bears now set their sights on the NCAA Indoor Championships March 13-14 in Albuquerque, N.M. KC Lightfoot, Tuesdi Tidwell, Alex Madlock, and the men’s 4x400-meter relay will all compete for national championships at the Albuquerque Convention Center.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>